Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victoria (Australia) Maps with Oziexplorer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria (Australia) Maps with Oziexplorer?

Hey this is my first post so please be gentle lol

I'v just got Oziexplorer and have been playing around with it and its good for what i need right now.

Only problem is the maps.

I'v searched this forum back to front and every thread i have seen hasn't actually given me an example.

I know from what i'v seen that there are a few maps that u can buy but no free maps for australia.

If i can't get it for free i will have to buy but is there a map of South eastern suburbs of melbourne Victoria?

I just need this map to do testing to get an idea of how good the GPS is.

even if it was a short area around me id be happy i wanna test drive.

Also how much of a good idea would be having a Laptop running the software and using the battery to keep the laptop running when the engine is started and for when the car is turned off the laptop goes into standby mode?

The battery should last for quite a while on standby mode right? and it will help when the engine kicks over and no power is available.

It will have power from the car when the car is started to recharge the battery in the laptop.

So is this a good idea?

and can anyone send me some maps or even a test map please.

Sorry if i sound like a newbie but i'v read the forum and looked up all i can on the Maps.
    CarPC Status:
    GPS: 99%
    Hardware: 99%
    Software: 92%
    Case Install: 99.9%
    Dash Install: 100%
    Car Install: 72%

i've been after maps for victoria too, grab a copy of the melways, and start scanning! That's about the only thing you can do - it's easy to calibrate with oziexplorer, just drive to a spot, mark it on the map and type in the coordinates. I don't have any maps of suburbs, i mainly use it when travelling around country/bush, it's great for dirt roads and long trips.

Don't see any reason why you can't use a laptop, just get a car-adapter, should be fine. It won't be drawing enough power to make it hard for the car to start. If you have a decent battery you should be able to use if for ages without worrying about draining it.

Comment

Funny you mentioned that i've actually started to create a map with www.whereis.com.au

I'v zoomed into the right angle and added the images together and removed the logo's after i have them all merged

It will take a while but it will look nice cause all the images arnt scanned

Only problem is the actual map starts to desync when i start doing the surounding area's

I do have a CD that is a huge digital melways map of victoria and i could merge the images together tme me 2hours max to get all of victoria done

Problem is i can't find the cd

Has anyone else tryed to make maps for Australia?
      CarPC Status:

Comment

not yet, but I am wanting too.... It is just a long way down the priority list
        Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

u can download the topo 250k raster maps of whole of australia from emule, 2cds, mapsend s&d is also available through emule 160mb+, or u can get the free destinator 3 aus ed cd from destinator.com.au, and download destinator 2 sdk from emule to view the maps, thats what im doing atm until i can find distinator 3 sdk...

Comment

Well i downloaded MAPSEND S&D but i am guessing there is no way to convert the maps to images or .maps for oziexplorer?

My problem is im on a 33.6k and it take to long to download the raster maps.

How big would just Victoria be?

Id really like to get thoese raster maps but emule just wont download for me it just wont start the download so i can't get it but i wouldnt be able to get it cause of the long waiting time.

guess no1 wants to send me a cd joke
            CarPC Status:

Comment

PM ur address and ill post em to ya

Comment

i dont have a car but have a WM5 devise so can u advise me people where to get a full map of melbourne like 'Melway' or something.
                Many thanks

Comment

can somebody upload them to rapidshare or whateverelse service?

Comment

Why don't you spend $65 on these maps?
                    http://www.maptrax.com.au/p/386124/m...t-mapping.html

Should just open in Ozi. These are not routable turn by turn maps.

I have the NatMap raster maps of Australia about $120 at 1:250,000 and can get some 1:25,000 maps of the most travelled offroad bits of Qld for $120 or so from our government mapping department called Sunmap.

If you use OziExplorer also have a look at this thread and follow the links to the Ozie Embedding thread.
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...carputers.html

If you want some cheap turn by turn software, have a look at Odyessy from www.twig.com.au Only $150 or $200 with the GPS receiver. I will post more on the thread above.

Rod
                    RodW
                    2007 Toyota Hilux with a CarPC..

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ota-hilux.html
                    OziExplorer GPS Embedded in RR: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sb-s...iexplorer.html

Comment

Have a look here as well, these guys have done excellent work,very cluey, always willing to help on all matters gps related, http://www.gpsaustralia.net/

Comment

for turn by turn Destinator 6,7 garmin,igo,sygic, all have aus maps have a search here and on here http://www.digital-car.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X