Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best GPS software? W/ Touchscreen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best GPS software? W/ Touchscreen?

Just wondering on what most people are using. For easy using in car with touchscreen? Compusa has the 2005 Microsoft GPS for $79.00 price matched at Bestbuy for all those that are looking. But not sure how good it is or if there are others that are better.
    thanks
    R.

Originally posted by Riker
    Just wondering on what most people are using. For easy using in car with touchscreen? Compusa has the 2005 Microsoft GPS for $79.00 price matched at Bestbuy for all those that are looking. But not sure how good it is or if there are others that are better.
    thanks
    R.
    Ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers.
    Find the package that does what you need/want.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

What DarquePervert said is absolutely correct. Though, I must say, Mappoint definitely is not touchscreen friendly unless you have a keyboard handy.

I personally use Routis and works great with just a touchscreen interface. Other software, but I personally don't use for various reasons, are Destinator or CoPilot.
      Mark

Car'Puter Project
      - Xenarc 700TSV
      - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
      - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
      - M2-ATX
      - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
      - Garmin 15H GPS
      - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

Originally posted by DaRacerz
        What DarquePervert said is absolutely correct. Though, I must say, Mappoint definitely is not touchscreen friendly unless you have a keyboard handy.

I personally use Routis and works great with just a touchscreen interface. Other software, but I personally don't use for various reasons, are Destinator or CoPilot.
        As far as touchscreen friendly, I doubt there are too many differing answers, I think most will agree Routis/iGuidance are the most touchscreen friendly. About the only thing you can't easily do is use the right click functionalities, but you really don't need them (i dont like having the touchscreen driver rightclick box getting in the way of my screen, but that would be one solution).

Comment

Thanks for the info on the touchscreen usability of routis and Iguidance.
          R.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Routis 2004, but the buttons are a little small for a 7" screen. If Co-Pilot can improve their map accuracy and the ablity to have true 3-D moving maps, I would sway and select Co-Pilot over Routis/IGuidance. They have the best user friendly touch screen interface I've seen.

Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Comment

I have routis, and i like it very much for maps and touchscreen etc...
              My only problem with routis is the POI database sucks. ...IMHO

Comment

Touchscreen Right Mouse Button Emulation

Originally posted by robr
                As far as touchscreen friendly, I doubt there are too many differing answers, I think most will agree Routis/iGuidance are the most touchscreen friendly. About the only thing you can't easily do is use the right click functionalities, but you really don't need them (i dont like having the touchscreen driver rightclick box getting in the way of my screen, but that would be one solution).
                My liilput allows right button emulation by holding your stylus against the screen for more than a couple of seconds.... Settings are within Touchkit.

HTH

John
                My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

CoPilot is very touch screen friendly, nice big buttons, on screen keyboard, etc. That's what makes it my favorite.

Comment

Copilot all the way for touch screen usability. Routis sucks in my opinion, but I have a composite 7" screen, so maybe thats it.
                    My carputer

Comment

I use CoPilot 2003.

Buttons and text are large, so its easy to read and click with small touchscreens. Theres also an excellent on screen keyboard for input.

When you first start up, theres a very simple interface to setup your destination and stops along the way. Its remembers your previous destination, so if you closed the app or turned off the carpc, you can quickly resume your trip. But its just as easy to make changes or pick a new destination.

The driving view is pretty nice too. When the car is in motion, it switches to simple view showing the distance to the next turn, ETA to your destination, approaching street/intersections, and sometimes a basic thumbnail map. The large high contrast text make it very easy to see all the info you need at a quick glance. Its also gives you a verbal message before approaching the next turn. You also have quick access to a detour button if you want to avoid a road because of traffic or construction.

In passenger mode view, you have access to the entire map. You can also see the trip route itinerary, make detours, options, etc. Its pretty touchscreen friendly here too.

Theres also a trip planner mode. I haven't used it much yet. It has the traditional windows application layout, so it seems more a mouse and keyboard application.

Overall, its got a very professional look and feel. But, its pretty pricey as well.
                      -TJ
                      Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
                      CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
                      Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

Originally posted by Terran
                        I'm a big fan of Routis 2004, but the buttons are a little small for a 7" screen. If Co-Pilot can improve their map accuracy and the ablity to have true 3-D moving maps, I would sway and select Co-Pilot over Routis/IGuidance. They have the best user friendly touch screen interface I've seen.

Couldn't have said it better
                        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Working...
                        X