No announcement yet.

cloud cover sucks

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cloud cover sucks

anyone have a garmin gps 12 when the cloud cover is is not really bad but you cant see blue sky do yall have problems with it locating and taking a very long time its been flashed with the latest firm ware the garmin has maby ill just go out and buy a new unit

im still parcial to hand helds because i do a few other things with it (other than gitting lost with it )

any one using the garmin etrex the yellow one i say that had it for 49.00 then went to the store and of course they didnt have it

Whoa. That's the biggest run-on I've seen in a long time! LOL. I appologize if English is not your native tounge. Sorry....

OK, on to your questions. I don't own a Garman GPS but have used a couple other brands. If you're having issue with locking a signal during cloudy days I would suggest getting another unit. I could just image how well (or NOT) it would work under worse coniditions like heavy rain or areas with high buildings.
    My Install Thread

MKIV VW Jetta
    How do I get sound to my car?

no prob about run ons yes i am an american but im not the best on sentence building i become to lax when writing papers on the computer !!!

the gps 12 is quite old so i may invest into a new unit soon

Yes, definitely invest on a new unit. I'm running on the Earthmate GPS and have no problem find Satellites even under Heavy Rain. Though, I must admit, this unit does have lock-problems at times for unknown reasons. may want to invest in one of the other cheap units.

Car'Puter Project
        - Xenarc 700TSV
        - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
        - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
        - M2-ATX
        - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
        - Garmin 15H GPS
        - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Cloud cover should have no effect. Remember, GPS technology was first designed back in the 1970s to work in all weather because there was no guarentee WWIII would start on a sunny day.
          Chrysler 300 - Fabricating

both my garmin gps 48 and 76 lock in any weather with no problem, I did have problems with my 12 so I ditched it.
            S60 Install

I have a garmin GPS 12 and it works fine, I had to mount it in view of the sky for it to work tho.
              Check out the mount I made:
              Works perfect, get a lock very quickly in all weather. Have never had a problem in tall building cover either, it may have switched to 2D nav when I was driving around, but thats not a prob for me.
              CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
              Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows