Does your GPS need to 'warm-up'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your GPS need to 'warm-up'?

I find it takes my GPS about 3-5 mintues from a cold boot (from overnight) to get solid locks. However if I shutdown and then restart later it locks right up...

Does anyone else get this? Why does it need to warm up?
    '02 GTI
    [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
    [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
    [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
    [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
    Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

Mine usually locks on quickly....
    My deluo gps is always on if the car is on.... so I believe it locks up quickly cause it is at
    the last place it thought it was. I know with my handheld garmin, if you turn it on
    somewhere different from when you last turned it off, it takes awhile to autolocate itself.

Just my thoughts...
    CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
    Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Kicker KX700.5 amp; 20w center amp; Kicker L7 10" Sub
    Display: Lilliput 7" TouchScreen
    CarPuter Install

Comment

GPS typically has some sort of wait for a lock. They have times to lock from a cold start or a hot start. Cold starts typically take longer to obtain a lock. If you are waiting 3-5 minutes from a cold boot, there could be a couple of issues - 1.) your receiver is not in a good location (this is the prime suspect); 2.) your receiver is old or bad.

Try mounting the receiver in different locations and see what happens. Also get a program (I think its called Cruxview) that will tell you how many satellites you locked on and will give you the raw NMEA input from the receiver. The cruxview program achieves this. The program will let you know what is going on with the commands the receiver is sending to the computer.

Good Luck.

-HD

Comment

totally off topic but your icon is very disturbing
        VIA EPIA 533 MHz
        256 MB RAM
        7" Lilliput VGA Touchscreen
        20 gig HD
        Media Engine 2.1.4
        GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
        802.11b Connectivity

Comment

Looks almost like it's out of the Hertzfeld cartoon "Rejected"...

..."I'm the queen of France!" <boom-ba-chicka-boom-ba-chicka>

Download it... it's off the wall.

P.S. My spoon is too big.

P.P.S. I am a banana.
          95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
          ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Originally posted by VanMan69
            Looks almost like it's out of the Hertzfeld cartoon "Rejected"...

..."I'm the queen of France!" <boom-ba-chicka-boom-ba-chicka>

Download it... it's off the wall.

P.S. My spoon is too big.

P.P.S. I am a banana.
            Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Originally posted by falconey
              I'm feeling fat, and sassy.

DOYO!!!

HIYA!!!

WHOA!!!

...You are watching the Family Learning Channel...
              95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
              ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Back to the topic.

I have the ebay GPS mouse, the BU-330. I have never had to wait for a lock, even from a cold boot. By the time my carputer boots up (even from hibernation), I am locked. I've heard it is very fast because there is a samll battery in my receiver that memorizes the last GPS coordinate taken.
                --------
                mykolJay
                99 Accord coupe
                http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
                My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

Hmm, I have the deluo GPS mouse (I think its the same as BU-330??) w/ Routis GPS

Mount location may be a problem, but as soon as it has warmed up I get a high number of sat lock with high signal. So Im not sure. Like I mentioned a hot start gets me a quick lock, it's only if my PC has been off for hours.

I do get NMEA info right out the door, I just dont get locks... Hmm, I'll take a look at that app and see what the deal is.
                  '02 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by judoGTI
                    Hmm, I have the deluo GPS mouse (I think its the same as BU-330??) w/ Routis GPS

Mount location may be a problem, but as soon as it has warmed up I get a high number of sat lock with high signal. So Im not sure. Like I mentioned a hot start gets me a quick lock, it's only if my PC has been off for hours.

I do get NMEA info right out the door, I just dont get locks... Hmm, I'll take a look at that app and see what the deal is.
                    I've been running into this same problem. It does seem as if it just needs to "warm up" and be restarted. My current theory is that it get's too hot sitting in my dash in the sun, and then might start working after I run my A/C for a bit.

We'll see. I should also mention that I am using the same GPS mouse.

Bryan

Comment

Mine sits inside my dash & has been baking in the sun all summer (suv is parked outside) and like I said above,
                      my deluo is always locked on by the time the pc boots and I can get Routis running.

Also, I would think that if you achieve strong sat signal when it "warms" up, then that
                      same signal is there at the beginning and your mounting location is not the problem.

hmm...

I guess when I was testing the gps outside the suv, it would need to locate
                      some... but that still didnt take forever... and that was days in between
                      firing up the gps too. But your saying yours is needing to locate after a few
                      hours? dunno...

Using the deluo diagnostic utility... do you see the data streaming from gps
                      right away? or some weak sat locks that don't register? Maybe you have faulty
                      equipment?

Just thinking out loud...
                      CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
                      Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Kicker KX700.5 amp; 20w center amp; Kicker L7 10" Sub
                      Display: Lilliput 7" TouchScreen
                      CarPuter Install

Comment

Like said, a lot of those little gps receivers have a small battery to keep in memory which satellites it last locked too. That way, when started, it looks if it can find the current visible satellites first (has to be calculated, as they are not geo-stationary). This saves time.

If the battery is bad, the receiver has to look up a minimum of 24 satellites to find which it can lock to.

Open the receiver up and put a new battery in. Let us know.
                        List of front-ends/usefull apps
                        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Im trying different locations over the next few days. I cut a square of sheet metal to occupy the bottom of the mouse (for some reason I find it works better when attached to metal ) and I'll move it around and see if the 'warm up' period decreases any.

If that doesn't work I'll open the bad boy up and swap the batter if mine has one.

Man if they would only launch 4 geostationary's to work along with the others that are not would help this out. heh.
                          '02 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by judoGTI
                            Im trying different locations over the next few days. I cut a square of sheet metal to occupy the bottom of the mouse (for some reason I find it works better when attached to metal ) and I'll move it around and see if the 'warm up' period decreases any.

If that doesn't work I'll open the bad boy up and swap the batter if mine has one.

Man if they would only launch 4 geostationary's to work along with the others that are not would help this out. heh.
                            judoGTI,

After reviewing some other threads, I was able to get mine working. It turns out that this might be a problem with the refresh rate of the video signal going to the Lilliput. Check your video refresh rate, and make sure it's set to 60Hz, and not 85Hz. Apparently 85Hz somehow causes the GPS to wig out and not see most of the satellites.

Bryan

Comment

that avitar has been used by many of folks. my friend over on the flakshack page has it too. its kermit the frog humping a bunny or something
                              When in doubt, moo at things.

Comment

Working...
                              X