Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solder cable of external antenna inside mouse GPS ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Solder cable of external antenna inside mouse GPS ??

    I do not want a "big" mouse GPS on my dashboard, but rather the tiny external antenna that I already have (about 2" x 2").

    Does anybody know if I can open a normal mouse GPS (like many on eBay, eg. BU-303) and solder the cable to my external antenna in place of the internal patch ?

    If not, what non-bluetooth gps has a connector for external antenna ? I read about the two models from Deluo, but I am not sure with their chipset and WAAS functions.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by swissRv
    I do not want a "big" mouse GPS on my dashboard, but rather the tiny external antenna that I already have (about 2" x 2").

    Does anybody know if I can open a normal mouse GPS (like many on eBay, eg. BU-303) and solder the cable to my external antenna in place of the internal patch ?

    If not, what non-bluetooth gps has a connector for external antenna ? I read about the two models from Deluo, but I am not sure with their chipset and WAAS functions.

    Thanks
    Is the external antenna a proper GPS one? And also, the BU-303 is only about 2" x 2" anyway, so why would you benefit from adding another device. I haven't opened up my BU-303 but given it's existing size and easy of hiding I won't be looking to do so.

    Also what specific chipset functions are you looking for from a GPS device that makes you wonder about the Deluo? I'm in the UK and therefore cannot use WAAS however I get a good enough lock with the standard BU-303 to tell which side of the road I am on, even down to a 5 sat lock. NMEA/SIRF and the ability to expose thereself as a COM port is usually sufficient for most user's uses; which incidentally most GPS devices will do.
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

    Comment


    • #3
      I just opened my BU-303 and succesfully soldered a gps antenna in the place of the internal active antenna. My reception is much better, I get a lock everywhere and because the wire of the new external antenna is 10m I can place it anywhere in- or outside my car.

      I did it in less than 5 minutes. It is not a difficult job.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by drib
        I just opened my BU-303 and succesfully soldered a gps antenna in the place of the internal active antenna. My reception is much better, I get a lock everywhere and because the wire of the new external antenna is 10m I can place it anywhere in- or outside my car.

        I did it in less than 5 minutes. It is not a difficult job.
        How about some pics? You took the internal antenna off? Which type of external antenna and where from?
        Laidback


        The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

        Comment


        • #5
          I wish I made some pictures. I dont want to open it again now but it is not that hard to find out yourself (I made it waterproof).
          If you open the housing, you will find the antenna on top, connected with a black wire to the receiver. Just desolder the black cable, and solder the wire from the external antenna at the exact same spot (2 tiny spots in total, cable looks like coax, so 1 wire around the other one with shielding in between).

          I bought the antenna on eBay (32), it was meant for my Volkswagen GPS unit but I cancelled it (price =3500 ) and build a carputer instead. The antenna accepts 3-12V so that was no problem (I think for the USB receiver you need 3,3V), that is the only think you should look at.

          Today I tested it at home, and got 7 locks for the first time. But when I made a test drive, I only got 3-4 locks (the max I had before). So it makes me think the bu-303 unit is not such a good quality receiver. I used to have a bluethooth receiver which had a lock on at least 5 sattelites all the time.

          Anyway, I hope this will help you further. If you have some questions, it might be easier to sent me some pics and I will show where and what to solder.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hmmm, well I have to say that 5 - 7 locks is not fantastic, especially with an external antenna! I be pretty ****ed off if my usb mouse didn't regularly get that many...
            Laidback


            The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

            Comment


            • #7
              Do you have the BU-303?

              Like I said; I used to have a BT receiver with my iPaq, which always had 5 locks (most of the time 8-9). And this was the same before I soldered the antenna on it.

              So I really think the bu-303 is very poor quality. I am looking for another one right now.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by drib
                Do you have the BU-303?

                Like I said; I used to have a BT receiver with my iPaq, which always had 5 locks (most of the time 8-9). And this was the same before I soldered the antenna on it.

                So I really think the bu-303 is very poor quality. I am looking for another one right now.
                Purchase the GPS whit Haicom company ( my Haicom GPS ,whit active antenna internal,work whit 9-10 satellites, outside for the car), the BU-303 not good secon me,tested but....

                Mauri

                Comment


                • #9
                  I tested some other GPS receivers today in Brussels, Belgium. And never I was able to get more than 7 locks (although I see around 10-11 satellites)! I tested the Haicom 204, The Royaltek BlueGPS and mine with the antenna soldered on. They all have the same reception.

                  So now I am having 7 locks, and navigation goes excellent. I advice everyone to solder an external antenna! It really isn't that hard.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    do you have a picture of the external antenna?

                    Originally posted by drib
                    I tested some other GPS receivers today in Brussels, Belgium. And never I was able to get more than 7 locks (although I see around 10-11 satellites)! I tested the Haicom 204, The Royaltek BlueGPS and mine with the antenna soldered on. They all have the same reception.

                    So now I am having 7 locks, and navigation goes excellent. I advice everyone to solder an external antenna! It really isn't that hard.
                    ------------------------------

                    98 Honda civic
                    In-Dash LCD Monitor K-301
                    cappuccino EZ3
                    PIII-1.2GHZ
                    256MB PC133
                    40GB HD
                    Holux GR 213 Sirf Star III GPS
                    IguidanceV2
                    CNX-P1900 power supply
                    Sound Blaster Live USB

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I will try to post some tomorrow...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I usually get 8-9 locks with the BU-303...
                        -Brad
                        83 mp320i
                        99 mp323i
                        _________

                        7" Lilliput w/Touch, 150 W Opus, 2.4ghz P4 533fsb, 512 DDR 333mhz, GPS, WiFi Inet, 40g Maxtor 7200rpm, Laptop DVD/CD-RW w/USB2.0 Bridge, WinXP Pro.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X