Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual GPS receiver ?

Hi guys,

Is it possible to use 2 GPS receivers at the same time?
    for more accuracy?

Stephane

I haven't seen it done before. But I can't see it making a difference. Wouldn't both the receivers be locked to the same sats? So what would be the point of haveing two.
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
      So what would be the point of haveing two.

well i don't know, that's why i am asking
      maybe to boost reception? I don't know

Comment

basicaly from what i here the triangulate your position to within about 5 meters of acuracy.
        so it would be my guess that even if you did get it to work the best it would do is give you two positions 1-5 meters apart from each other so you could jus imagine yourself inbetween them
        best i can do

Comment

that seems unlikely to help too much.. maybe if you wrote a program to average the position of the two, you'd get a slightly more accurate reading on where you are.. but i've found it to be fairly accurate for the most part.

for boosted reception, theres a thread floating around somewhere about putting a refridgerator magnet under the receiver for increased reception (aka faster locking)
          VIA EPIA 533 MHz
          256 MB RAM
          7" Lilliput VGA Touchscreen
          20 gig HD
          Media Engine 2.1.4
          GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
          802.11b Connectivity

Comment

I dont think it would make a difference if you had 2 or not
            I think quattro is right, they would just look on to the same sats
            I also havent seen any gps software that would be able to utilize 2 gps recievers either

If you want to get better reception, i think getting a good reciever would be a better solution
            amd 1700, biostar m7ncg 400, hitachi deskstar 120 8mb , 512 pc2700, liliput 7"
            now to put it all together

Comment

Actually more receivers will give you a more acurate position, but you would have to have software the takes into account the location of each receiver. There are multi-receivers systems that can give position within an inch or so.
              2007 Tahoe
              Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

I have two GPS receivers; one built into my laptop and the other is a USB puck.

I have compared reading from two in two different applications, but I am not aware of any standard software (iGuidance, Copilot, SAT, Street Atlas) that will let you use more than one GPS receiver at a time.

-Z
                It has to start somewhere... It has to start sometime.
                What better place than here? What better time than now?

Comment

D3 SDK lets you take data from a Buffer which you could fill by reading the GPS data stream yourself. It wouldnt be too hard to read the COM port data from each of the GPS and do some calculations before pushing it into the buffer.

The thing i thought of was to have the GPS doing the readings half a second off synch. thatway you would get GPS signals every 0.5seconds instead of once per second...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominik
                    D3 SDK lets you take data from a Buffer which you could fill by reading the GPS data stream yourself. It wouldnt be too hard to read the COM port data from each of the GPS and do some calculations before pushing it into the buffer.

The thing i thought of was to have the GPS doing the readings half a second off synch. thatway you would get GPS signals every 0.5seconds instead of once per second...

interesting, can you code that?

Comment

the only thing I think would be worth doing would be, if you are writing your own GPS application (or D3 interface, or a 'third GPS com port device') would be to monitor both, and output the reading of the one with the best lock - and if the other one goes tit's up, sending the required reset commands.

Otherwise it's a lot of work for not much improvement
                      Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                      Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

What would make a difference is putting one at the windshield and another at the back window. That way, the complete sky would be "visible" and locks would be to different sats.

Joa
                        List of front-ends/usefull apps
                        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Good thinking, batman!

I'm going to grab my GPS receiver, and along with Danceheaven's, i'll see if i can figure anything out

Garry
                          Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                          www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
                            Good thinking, batman!

I'm going to grab my GPS receiver, and along with Danceheaven's, i'll see if i can figure anything out

Garry

Sounds kinky

Comment

You are better off buying an external antenna (if your GPS have the connector for it) :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...dID=&doy=14m10

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...dID=&doy=14m10

Placing 2 GPS one at the back and at the front will only give you like the average position in the middle. If the signal are weak in the area both GPS wont be accurate anyway.

Its probably worth a try if you got access to 2 GPS and the program to average out the position.

Comment

Working...
                              X