BU-303 and SIrf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BU-303 and SIrf

Hi I have searched, but to no avail, this may sound ultra stupid as I don't yet fully understand the GPS thing, but.......

How do I get Destinator to use my BU-303 in Sirf mode as I have heard it will update my position quicker etc....

Do I need to switch its mode or anything?

Many Thanks for putting up with what may be a stupid question

Matt

Sorry just found it!!!!

Yes it's quite simple.Download sirfdemo.exe (from places like www.holux.co.uk) and connect to you gps device using the normal NMEA settings, then once connected select from one of the menus 'Switch to SIRF mode' and close sirfdemo. Now reconnect using SIRF/38400 in d3 and it should work
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...&postcount=684

My bad!!!

Comment

Good work.. great find..
      •Micke

Comment

Do you have to do that every time you want to use it, or is it just a one time thing for the mouse itself?

Comment

I havent had success with this....

I connect to COM8 (the Prolific crap port - same as in destinator), then I put the baud at 4800 (same as d3 frontend), i go to "open source" thingy in the actions menu, (Otherwise the sirf mode option is greyed) then I get a bunch of data in the debug window, but nothing somes up in the other sirfdemo windows, then I select the "go to sirf mode" or whatever it is (it is no longer greyed), then I close go to d3, but it still only connect as NMEA/4800....

I'm gonna try it again, but am I doing something wrong?\

thnks!
          Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
          Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

I managed to set it sirf mode using that program... just clicked on that 'change to sirf' option. Loaded Destinator 3 up and set the mode to sirf in the GPS settings and it found it ok.

However the update rate didn't improve at all.. actually seemed to make it slower

Is there any other way to make the Destinator 3 front end update faster as at the moment its about 30 ft behind my actual location when travelling above 30mph... gets a bit annoying when theres loads of streets and you have to work out which one you need.
            Volvo C70 - Installation in progress *gulp*

Comment

Are you sure something else isn't wrong? I.E. not a good satilite lock as mine is now massivley better with sirf

Comment

Originally posted by knubile
                Do you have to do that every time you want to use it, or is it just a one time thing for the mouse itself?
                CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

I can't tell you the offical answer, but I only did it once and its stayed in Sirf mode!!

Comment

Originally posted by matty_g
                    Are you sure something else isn't wrong? I.E. not a good satilite lock as mine is now massivley better with sirf
                    really? how many sats have you got a lock on to on average? I have about 4-5 on average and my gps receiver is on the roof so can't get a better location than that. Also its always loosing lock especially near built up areas which I was expecting but not as much as it is doing.

Is Destinator much more accurate with sirf mode then?

Comment

Just to check, is it Switch to Sirf Protocol, or Switch Operation Mode that I need to click?

The switch operation mode is greyed always....

Does it make a difference if the gps is locked or not when I run sirfdemo?
                      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                      Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Is this reversible? I'm happy to try this out to see if it improves reception, but I'd like to know that I can change it back if it doesn't work well for me.

C!
                        http://carpc.riposte.net
                        I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Originally posted by C4M
                          Is this reversible? I'm happy to try this out to see if it improves reception, but I'd like to know that I can change it back if it doesn't work well for me.

C!
                          I've just switched it back to sirf again to see if it makes any difference again so yeah you seem to be able to switch it back and forth as you please.

Comment

Yes its quite easy to switch back and forth. I noticed that the accuracy increased dramatically on my BU-303 when used in D3 in Sirf mode (2.3 & above option)
                            Also the plot lag seemed lesser - it no longer appears to draw my position 20yds behind where I actually am! Also update/refresh seems a lot smoother.

John
                            My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                            NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

I cracked open the case of my Deluo GPS reciever - it seems to be an evermore chipset, rather than the BU303 that is mentioned here, however coincidentially, the drivers that I am using from Deluo are labelled as PL2303. Conincidence, or is this relevant for me?

Is there a compatibility list somewhere that I'm missing?

C!
                              http://carpc.riposte.net
                              I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Working...
                              X