how do i know if waas is working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i know if waas is working

I have had the rikaline 6010 for about a month now and it seems to do a great job. It is supposed to have waas but i cannot tell whether or not it is working. Is there a way to find out with iguidance or the sirf demo software, i would really like to know if i'm actually getting a waas signal.

Thanks
    Brett
    EPIA MII-1200, 512 MB Ram, Seagate 7200 RPM 160GB hard drive, Orinoco Gold with 5.5 dB external antenna, Lilliput 7" TS, DVD-ROM, M2-ATX, Rikaline 6010 GPS, Running Frodo Player
    My Truckputer

Not sure if it would work with your receiver but do a google search for the program called crux_view.exe (or some derivative of this name). The program allows you to control the settings of your GPS receiver. I use this program to monitor data activity on my bluetooth gps unit. It monitors your COM port for the receiver so I'm not 100% sure it would work with USB receivers.

I would strongly warn against changing any of your receiver's settings as it may kill your unit. I changed some WAAS setting a while ago on my bluetooth unit and i had to crack it open, disconnect the battery and wait a few days before being able to reuse it.

Also, I have heard that WAAS isn't such a great thing. Do a quick read-up at gpspassion.com on the pros/cons of WAAS.

-HD

Comment

If your GPS program shows you the signal strength of the received satellite normally they would also have the satellite number labeled on each bar.

WAAS satellite are numbered 33-51 if I remember it well. SO if you can see anything 33 and above then you are getting a WAAS. Anything below 33 are the normal ones.

Try this software :

http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPS/default.htm

On the top left of the screenshot you can see the satellite number below the blue signal bar :

http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPS/screenshot.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X