Earthmate just started sucking at nights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthmate just started sucking at nights

Hey, I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. Over the past three weeks or so my earthmate has seemed to become possessed. During the day i get great signal, 6-8 sats avg. But once the sun goes down, i loose most all of my signal, and it only tracks for about 40% of the time, the rest of the time i get a bunch of grey, yellow, and red sat. status icons. Any idea's???

No, but you could try changing your GPS receiver or relocating it.
    00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
    Newest install - my quickest ever
    My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
    My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

When it cool out side, it take forever to lock at the sat, and if it does, only 3 or 4.
      During the day, when it warm and sunny, it was able to lock into 9+ sat.
      The problem I think is too much overcast (if that the word)
      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

doo you have window tint or a factory tinted glass ? - if so, it may interfere more in the dark .

Comment

Mmm we're talking about radio waves here, not light transmission Really doubt the GPS receiver cares too much about how much light can go through your windshield
          Current Setup

Nexus 7 Tablet
          Built in head unit
          Brutus 1500Watt Amp
          Two Boston 12" subs

2006 Infiniti M45 Sport ;) My 4 door Camaro... lol

Comment

not if the tint is reflective. I have had it reduce gps signal many times.
            肚子笑痛了
            S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by finnman925
              doo you have window tint or a factory tinted glass ? - if so, it may interfere more in the dark .
              Ok..... GPS uses radio signals... if these signals pass through the glass during the day, what makes you think they won't pass the same window at night?

Maybe the problem is clouds, different area, heading in a different direction?
              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Where is the GPS located??? Is it in the back window or under glass? I agree.. it's a radio wave.. it doesn't care if it's light or dark out. Just wondering if anything else is interfering. Dash lights, window defroster, some EMF field? Etc.
                Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

Some window tint is made from metallic particles, so that can attenuate the signals passing through it. That wouldn't cause the unit to fail at night though, unless there's heavy cloud cover attenuating the signal further...even then, I think they would have to be some pretty heavy clouds...just for kicks, try holding the Earthmate outside of the vehicle at night and compare it to when it's inside the vehicle.
                  System status: in progress

Comment

what about humidity? does it get more humid at night maybe, causing it to refract the signals?
                    CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

As for as the weather, it's crystal clear at nights. and I haven't had this problem until about a few weeks ago as i said. Before that it has been working perfectly at nights. The only difference is that the overall temp has dropped. I have never had any problems with it in bad weather. It is located right up under my dash, almost up against the windsheild, and most of the way to the passenger side door. If that makes any sense.

Comment

wasn't there a similar thread about this? But I think that guy lived in CA
                        [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36994 this is the one
                          [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

It's not that far fetched an idea. The metal in the window tint will have
                            different properties when it's warm, than when it's cold. Could be enough
                            to **** with it. I doubt it, but you never know. Try heating up the window
                            while stopped with your defroster on heat. See if it makes any difference.

Frodo
                            [H]4 Life
                            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                            I'm a lesbian too.
                            I am for hire!

Comment

I've seen a similar issue with mine (not Earthmate) at night. It locks great in the mornings but takes longer and seems to track fewer satellites at night. I just thought it had something to do with the position of the satellites in the evening vs. the morning.

Moving the GPS to a more prominent location gave me reliable results but still fewer satellites lock in the evening.
                              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                              Want to:
                              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                              X