GPS Mouses....$30 to $200?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Mouses....$30 to $200?

What's the difference between a $30 GPS mouse and a $200 GPS mouse?

Will I, running a carPC based GPS system, notice any difference between the two? Will the $30 option suit my purposes as a normal driver just fine?
    Here it is! My carputer install! 1997 BMW M3

brand names would help greatly for an accurate comparision
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/170000-170999/170063_221.jpg

Comment

I have the same question. I believe the $30 units he refers to are the ones that "gps4evyone" sells on ebay. I believe the brandname is ratida or something like that. I was going to buy the earthmate unit, but after seeing these I was considering one of these. A quick search on ebay for "gps usb mouse" will return tons of results for gps units that go for $30-$50.
      PC Components:
      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
      My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
        I have the same question. I believe the $30 units he refers to are the ones that "gps4everyone" sells on ebay.
        This is all you need - I bought mine off that guy and it works fine !

love it ...most of the differences are the "cold start time" ...in other words how long from when it first gets power until it gets a lock on some sats ....

if you are plugging it into a ATX mobo ..then it will alwyas have/lock anyway (even if the car is off)

......Rikaline GPS 6010 that GPS4evrone (sp?) sells on ebay are just FINE !!!
        2002 Suzuki Aerio Sedan ...NOT the stupid wagon

Comment

I would recomend the Rikaline 6010, cheap and work great... whichever gps you choose make sure that it is waas enabled

Comment

I like my earthmate. Has very good cold-start times.
            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I use to use earthmate, but didn't work out well for me... My car requires my receiver to be outside and the earhtmate will leak in every which way... The cable connection on it is designed poorly in my opinion also... I also like running serial instead of usb for a gps... 25 extra bucks for that earthmate calbe, putting you sometimes around the range of a total of $140.00. I just went with a Holux GM-210... Lots cheaper than the earthmate and lots better... Very rugid solid design, sealed every which way... All weather proof for mounting outside in any condition... Great cable system with every type of cable you can image, most time you get to choose which one you want for free.. Also the base is super magnetic for sticking to the roof of your car... It comes with an interneral battery to keep the signal locked to increase lock time speed... I paid 60 bucks for my GM-210, which ran circles around my earthmate in every way... I just wish I would have researched before I bought my earthmate, which now sits in a closest...

my 2 cents...

david

Comment

You can get a used earthmate like me.. I got one that was weatherproof (rubberized) for $60 shipped, and another that was basically new for $75.
                PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

i have an Earthmate, and a Rikaline 6010 i have to say, that the rikaline is way better than the earthmate... earthmate: $80-$90. 6010: $40-$60.
                  Lower price, beter service. go with the rikaline. I bought 3 of these (darn christmas season. hehe) from gps4everyone on ebay. best deals, and seller by far.

go with the 6010, you will be satisfied...

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Skipjacks
                    What's the difference between a $30 GPS mouse and a $200 GPS mouse?
                    about $170.

seriously though, cold boot times dont bother me because the 30-45 seconds it takes my computer to boot up, its already locked on at least 4 satelites. (the gps receiver locks independently from the computer. as long as its getting power, it'll lock)
                    rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

Was WAAS enabled? I have no idea what that means.

I guess a 45 cold start time isn't really cumbersom since as you say, it's not like the computer starts right up and is ready to display map data as soon as you turn the car key.

One other GPS mouse question...

Can I put it on the rear deck under the back window? I have a rear defroster. Will the metal lines of the defroter screw with the GPS signal? Or will that be a non issue?

Comment

WAAS makes it more accurate. make sure the gps is WAAS enabled.

i've had no real problems with the receiver underneath my back window. other people have had problems with it. the only way to tell is to actually test it out. what kind of car is it anyways?

Comment

i don't think tht you rear defroster would interfere with the gps signal. on here i saw a lot of installs that way, and nobody really complained.

WAAS enabled means that it has a special protocol to calculate your location, meaning that it's more accurate. 1-5m (3-15ft) so that is a plus. without it it's like 20m (60ft) accuracy. The rikaline 6010 is waas enabled. highly recommend it. Personally i think it;s not wort getting a more expansive reciever, if you get this good of a performance from a $60 unit.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by fantomas
                            WAAS makes it more accurate. make sure the gps is WAAS enabled.

i've had no real problems with the receiver underneath my back window. other people have had problems with it. the only way to tell is to actually test it out. what kind of car is it anyways?
                            Thanks for the info!

And it's a '97 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by Skipjacks
                              Thanks for the info!

And it's a '97 BMW M3
                              two or four door?

Comment

Working...
                              X