Xport2 virtual COM ports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xport2 virtual COM ports

I got a question for Curiosity regarding to Xport2.
    I download and try it along with the Compass program earlier today but doesn't work.
    It's the earthmate USB GPS with latest Delorme USB to Serial on COM3. I can run Routis/D3 without any problem by using that driver. Now I want a little more running 2 at the same time and/or the compass program.
    I try gpsGate but it doesn't works as I expected and already uninstalled. Will explain later.
    - I run the Compass and set it to use COM3 and it works fine.
    - Run Xport2 and select COM3, check Install Service. I get an error."Invalid COM port, or confused driver". What is happen there?

Another note. If I close everything and reboot the machine, Xport2 can't find COM3 (not in the drop down list). I have to run Compass for Xport to see COM3 but I get the above error.

Now why gpsGate doesn't work. Well, it work fine but Routis doesn't work with it. I found out when I took a 2 hrs trip. Routis keep complaining that no GPS receiver attached every 20~30 mins while Monkey Ninja D3 runs fine. If I close Routis and reopen it, all fine. But that is suck as I have to re-enter the destination again. To work around I have to create an extra COM port in gpsGate so that once Routis doesn't find the GPS, I just switch the COM port in Routis. But that is also anoying.
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Xport2 doesn't really connect to the GPS. It connects to the compass, which connects to the GPS and to Xport2. Confusing, I know.

First, run the Xport config app and set the input to COM64 and the outputs to some unused ports, like COM5, COM6, COM7... and enable the service.
    Second, start the compass and set it to COM3 and that's it. You should be able to open Routis and access the GPS on COM5, 6, or 7.

The way it works is the compass does all of the reading from the GPS on it's real port and then sends the data to the input port (COM64 or whatever it's configured to) and then it's all fed to the output ports (5, 6, and 7).

Does that make better sense?

Comment

Thanks Curiosity. Will try that. Basically Xport2 won't work without Compass.
      So Compass read the data from the GPS COM port uses it, and pass it to Xport. Xport rely the data to virtual COM ports it created.

Hey Curiosity one more request/suggestion (I am not 100% sure if it is already there) can you give Compass an selectable option to always on top. I want to have it on top of all other app.
      Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

Right. The compass is the link between the GPS and Xport2. Xport2 just takes what it's given and distributes the data to the 8 virtual ports. It's kind of like GPSGate and the others which have an app and a port splitter driver, but this was supposed to be more flexible so others could easily replace the compass with a filter app. It just makes things complicated though.

Anyway, I don't know why it let you pick COM3 as a virtual port though. It should only list unused ports. Bug!

Comment

Always on top? Oh great. I just made it always on bottom because it was getting in the way. LOL Will see what I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity
            Always on top? Oh great. I just made it always on bottom because it was getting in the way. LOL Will see what I can do.
            That is why I said selectable option.
            About Xport2. Without Compass, I can't select COM3. So that is what it suppose to work. With Compass, I can select COM3 but it throw an error.

Cool Thanks

[edit]
            I just try the setup of, it works.... now I have to wait and see if GPS stuff resume working from hibernation.
            Note: My Earthmate GPS resume from hibernation most of the time.
            [/edit]
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

It's been tested with hibernation like 1000 times at least, so I don't think you'll have any problems with that. My GPS start spitting out garbage once in a while when it resumes, so it fixes that along with the normal thing.

I just posted a new Compass on my site with an always on top option. I haven't tested it much yet, but it seems to be working. Try it out! Nothing new in Xport2 yet, but I know what's happening from your description. Thanks. Just don't do that for now.

Comment

Alright thanks Curiousity Xport and Compass work great. I havn't download the new compass yet, but soon will. However there is a problem I don't know it is related to Xport/Compass or Ninja Monkey D3. Without Xport/Compass, D3 work fine. With Xport/Compass, D3 doesn't work in advance mode but ok in standard mode. Routis has no problem with or without Xport/Compass.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

What is advance mode? Is that like SiRF or something? I'm guessing it has to send something to the GPS which wouldn't work.

Comment

No in Ninja Monkey D3's advance mode only work with NMEA data.
                    When connect, it said something about ActiveX ... forgot the exact error.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

ha, so this is how it works,
                      man i pulled my hair out for days trying to get xport to work, if i only new compass was need. Will give it a try later today
                      01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                      01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                      mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

I was playing around a bit over the weekend, and all was working fine.
                        The problem: I was using D3 betta 1.
                        Solution: Update to betta 2, works like a charm.
                        Thank you Curiosity for the free Xport and Compass. Ninja Monkey for a nice D3 front end.
                        You guys rocksssssssssss
                        Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

That's great! ... that I didn't have to fix anything.

Comment

finally got this up and running and ive been testing it out all day today. The virtual port splitting works like a charm, but the compass app seems to have a few minor glitches.

Some times when i start the compas or when the computer boots up it will show my mph as 320.0 and will stay this way. Its getting info from the GPS and iguidance works fine and reports my true mph. I have to go into the options for the compass and click on something to make it refresh the data. Other than that its working pretty damn good.
                            I acutally even find it easier to glance over at the computer to see my speed than the spedo on the car.
                            01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                            01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                            mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Originally posted by liquid_smoke
                              Some times when i start the compas or when the computer boots up it will show my mph as 320.0 and will stay this way. Its getting info from the GPS and iguidance works fine and reports my true mph. I have to go into the options for the compass and click on something to make it refresh the data. Other than that its working pretty damn good.
                              I think this is why Curiosity have the app always at the bottom

I acutally even find it easier to glance over at the computer to see my speed than the spedo on the car.
                              BINGO, that is the reason I want D3's Advance mode. Also make a request to curiousity to have Compass always on top.
                              Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

Working...
                              X