Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone experiencing GPS errors since tsunami?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone experiencing GPS errors since tsunami?

I was just wondering if anyone, particularly you guys in Asia and Australia, has experienced errors in accuracy since the tectonic plate shift that caused the tsunami. Apparently, some places have been shifted by 100 feet or more, and the earth's rotation was slightly affected.

Since the GPS satellites are in synchronous orbit, it stands to reason that the postions of these satellites with respect to the ground have shifted somewhat. I didn't notice any changes this weekend while driving around, but I don't know about you guys that are closer to ground zero.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

The reports I saw 'suggested' that the earths rotation might have been impacted by 1uS/year. I believe that's something around 1/55th inch/year -- probably well within the accuracy of the satellite orbits in the first place. Land shifts should have no impact on GPS solutions though they might make current maps a bit innacurate.
    2004 4runner

Comment

... but nothing you'll miss a turn over. --given that the unit in your car is accurate to 2-3meters or so.
      •Micke

Comment

is it 1uS/year? Cause I read somewhere else (I don't remember of the source) that formentioned that each day is 1mS shorter. But in either case, this has to be well within the range of adjustability for the satelites.

Though, the titonic plate shift is significant. Also heard the 100ft (30 meter) figure put out. Thats gotta be catastrophic to the GPS mapping infrastructure. Just the question is what countries that have been mapped are effected.
        Mark

Car'Puter Project
        - Xenarc 700TSV
        - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
        - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
        - M2-ATX
        - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
        - Garmin 15H GPS
        - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

Originally posted by DaRacerz
          is it 1uS/year? Cause I read somewhere else (I don't remember of the source) that formentioned that each day is 1mS shorter. But in either case, this has to be well within the range of adjustability for the satelites.

Though, the titonic plate shift is significant. Also heard the 100ft (30 meter) figure put out. Thats gotta be catastrophic to the GPS mapping infrastructure. Just the question is what countries that have been mapped are effected.
          The numbers are about a single plate DROP, so that does not affect the surface area of earth quite as radically as you might think in the first place. Then consider 100 feet in relation to the circumference of Earth, something like 23k miles, and it is becoming completely insignificant.
          And the actual number quoted was in fact 1uS/year and most commonly mentioned number for plate drop is 30 feet, not 100. So gps will do just fine.
          I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

Also, GPS satellites are not in a synchronous orbit. They constantly circle the earth, so at any given time, a handful of them will be within "view" of any point on earth.

Comment

I read that IntelSat recently lost a satellite into space due to an "anomaly". Not very often you read about that, or perhaps it just doesnt make its way into mainstream geek news too often.
              Rode-B[O]X: scrounging components

Bits I bought:
              Xenarc 700TSV | DSSC | GPS18PC
              Pieces Im looking at:
              Axus TC600 WINXPe | EPIA * | GPS gadgets

Comment

By my knowledge of tectonic plates, that earthquake should have just affected that plate. Its not like any of the other plates moved.
                PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Those tsinamis did shift alot of plates and also caused alot of subduction zones in the area where the quake was. The fact that rotation was affected and that some places shifted may have cause the earths orbit to move a tiny bit which in exchange might have possibly thrown off the satellite. Another factor may be the fact that the earths rotation speed was increased by a few milliseconds. This may have cause a minor change in the earths electromagnetic field polarity. But wow that was a tangent... My fault but yeah It may have affected it a little bit... But like the others said probably nothing large scale.

Comment

Hopefully nothing large scale
                    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

The tsunami didn't move anything except people and houses.

Now the earthquake that caused it moved some things a little.
                      [H]4 Life
                      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                      I'm a lesbian too.
                      I am for hire!

Comment

Wouldn't the US military or whoever runs GPS just re-calibrate the GPS satellites slightly to counter-act the change if any?

Or would GPS still give you an accurate reading... And it would be just the maps that were now in the 'wrong place'

Scuse me if I'm just being stupid
                        Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                        Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Well i heard that the Earth was so thrown off it's axis that we are actually spiralling towards the sun and only have 23years, 14days, 3 hours left.......

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                            Well i heard that the Earth was so thrown off it's axis that we are actually spiralling towards the sun and only have 23years, 14days, 3 hours left.......
                            Party !
                            [H]4 Life
                            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                            I'm a lesbian too.
                            I am for hire!

Comment

www.kaboom2012.com
                              Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                              Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                              I'M DEBT FREE!!
                              I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Working...
                              X