Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a GPS antenea be recognized as a Serial and a USB device?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a GPS antenea be recognized as a Serial and a USB device?

So in playing with my Earthmate USB device to get it working with IGuidance (installing the drivers where it tricks the computer into thinking it's a serial device) I found software that came with the download that's GPS testing stuff from Delorme.

It gives a little digital compass, gives you a little window for your current speed, tells you where the sun should be, etc etc etc...

But it's looking for the device ot be a USB. It all worked perfectly until I installed the Serial - USB driver. Now it doesn't recognize it.

Can I correct this in anyway? It's a fun little program that'd be nice to have in addition to guidance.

(Hopefully someone knows the program I'm talking about. I can't think of the name of it)
    Here it is! My carputer install! 1997 BMW M3

I have use my earthmate with MS S&T 2005 (serial mode), as well as Street Atlas 2005 (USB mode). I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it in two different modes, so long as you're not using it in two different modes simltaneously..
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by tj!2k4
      I have use my earthmate with MS S&T 2005 (serial mode), as well as Street Atlas 2005 (USB mode). I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it in two different modes, so long as you're not using it in two different modes simltaneously..
      Yeah I didn't see why I wouldn't be able to do that either. But the computer doesn't like it.

Could I add a second USB plug to the Earthmate cord an dhave it plugged into two socket? Make the computer think there are two GPS devices?

Comment

Originally posted by Skipjacks
        Yeah I didn't see why I wouldn't be able to do that either. But the computer doesn't like it.

Could I add a second USB plug to the Earthmate cord an dhave it plugged into two socket? Make the computer think there are two GPS devices?
        Its this line of thinking that makes Helpdesk guys grin
        Centrafuse 3.1
        Garmin Mobile PC
        GPS, OBDII, Lilliput 629GL, Nightvision integrated video,
        Other fun stuff in works.

Comment

Nope!

Edit: Hopperhawk beat me!
          Originally posted by Hopperhawk
          Heh, yep!
          Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Hopperhawk
            Hey it's not my fault that my brain thinks outside the realm of existin gtechnology. Maybe if the help desk guys caught the hardware up to speed I wouldn't have ot do so much 'advanced thinking'

Comment

Hey it's not my fault that my brain thinks outside the realm of existin gtechnology. Maybe if the help desk guys caught the hardware up to speed I wouldn't have ot do so much 'advanced thinking'
              Yeah, you're right. Most helpdesk guys wouldn't be able to answer that anyway!
              Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Working...
              X