Free GPS Solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free GPS Solution?

I just googled for a free gps solution and came across this..
    http://www.gpss.co.uk/download.htm

has anyone else seen this and/or used this?

Thanks,
    Andy

Someone needs to try this to see how good it is. I'm personally using Iguidance right now so I dont see the need to switch. But im always open to new solutions, especially if theyre free.
    Osiris Networx

--Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
      Someone needs to try this to see how good it is. I'm personally using Iguidance right now so I dont see the need to switch. But im always open to new solutions, especially if theyre free.
      How do you like Iguidance? ive been thinking of getting it.

I wonder where the map files come from on the free one?
      1990 Jeep Cherokee
      2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
      2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by WebDog
        How do you like Iguidance? ive been thinking of getting it.

I wonder where the map files come from on the free one?
        I've tried Destinator 3 without success and read many posts on it. I have to say that although Iguidance probaly aint the best it is rock solid commercial product. Ive used it to take me places that i know well and it seems to go the "best" route. The interface is clear and simple although on a 7" screen the road names are kinda small. (theres a crack for that on here somewhere but i havent gotten to that yet.) I beleive you get it with the TripNav GPS receiver also so that may be something to look into. One time i decided to try a different way to work after Iguidance told me to go one way and it readjusted quickly. I really cant give you any real complaints about it. This is a good software for our application. I say good because i havent tried all the rest so i cant compare them.
        Osiris Networx

--Tuning is all about price vs performance. You've got to find your own medium.--

Comment

found this guy a couple of years ago ,didnt bother as US maps were 5 years old a couple of years ago. now there going on seven years old. buy a retail product and i think you will find that a little $$ spent is well worth it.you can get delorme for about $40 or $120 with a sairf gps.

Comment

A quick search on GPSS would answer your question....
            Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by ajmorris
              I just googled for a free gps solution and came across this..
              http://www.gpss.co.uk/download.htm

has anyone else seen this and/or used this?

Thanks,
              Andy

I used this years ago it's not really that good.

It doesn't do navigation, you have to use your own maps, it's not good on a touchscreen. It would be easy enough to write your own version of this with a little VB knowledge however.
              Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
              Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                I used this years ago it's not really that good.

It doesn't do navigation, you have to use your own maps, it's not good on a touchscreen. It would be easy enough to write your own version of this with a little VB knowledge however.
                I'm sure it does do navigation!

Edit: No maybe you're right, It's a few years since I played with that as well!
                Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
                  I'm sure it does do navigation!

Edit: No maybe you're right, It's a few years since I played with that as well!
                  IIRC, it does something called navigation, but not as we know it...

More like having a compass and knowing which direction to head in! (with robin saying 'destinaation IS! ..north!'... 'Driving... near! ROBINS HOUSE!'
                  Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                  Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Working...
                  X