Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Software with decent graphics

Anyone checked out Google's beta mapping site. http://maps.google.com/

Now how come nobody makes GPS software like that? The graphics are smooth and anti-aliased. One simple search bar. Nice transparencies.
    I use the Delorme software and it's functional, but it looks like some High school kid put it together in his Visual Basic class.

Ignoring functionality and features, what would you guys think is the best looking navigation software?

that google gps has been mentioned before. not so long ago infact.

check out the new GPS development in the mapmonkey section for the UK. it's gonna be sweet.

Comment

A combination of Google maps and Keyhole with the functionality of the standard GPS packages. (Turn-by-turn, voice guidance, etc.)

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the GPS software has to "jump" from spot to spot. I know it doesn't have to be that way because Keyhole rolls smoothly on and the new Google map does it from the browser, for heaven's sake.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
          A combination of Google maps and Keyhole with the functionality of the standard GPS packages. (Turn-by-turn, voice guidance, etc.)

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the GPS software has to "jump" from spot to spot. I know it doesn't have to be that way because Keyhole rolls smoothly on and the new Google map does it from the browser, for heaven's sake.
          The reason why GPS jumps from point to point is because the GPS only updates once a second or so. It doesn't matter how fast you can render, if you only have accurate data once a second. Mappoint can already scroll faster then google and I'm sure most of navigation packages can too.

In my experience, you can't really interpolate this too well either since your speed is not constant. i.e. if you move the map by a constant speed based on the last 2 updates for the time until the next update, you'll have moved too far if your car is slowing down during that time period or your GPS signal feeds you data that is a few feet off from where it should be and correcting smoothly for this still ends up looking far far worse then simply being choppy.
          StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
          Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
          The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by Prolific
            Something like this?

that's cool! Hopefully his little project will catch on!

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
              The reason why GPS jumps from point to point is because the GPS only updates once a second or so. It doesn't matter how fast you can render, if you only have accurate data once a second. Mappoint can already scroll faster then google and I'm sure most of navigation packages can too.

In my experience, you can't really interpolate this too well either since your speed is not constant. i.e. if you move the map by a constant speed based on the last 2 updates for the time until the next update, you'll have moved too far if your car is slowing down during that time period or your GPS signal feeds you data that is a few feet off from where it should be and correcting smoothly for this still ends up looking far far worse then simply being choppy.
              There are some GPS that updates much quicker. Dont know what software will update as quick.

Comment

Originally posted by mgars
                that's cool! Hopefully his little project will catch on!
                I dont get it, whats the avantage of using google map? Have I missed something here

Comment

ok, so we are aware that GPS shows us where we WERE... so it takes it a little bit of time to process this data, so let's just assume you were on interstate and going 80mph... it knows you are on the road... so why not just have it trail by 1/4 second... ya see??

it could absolutely be predictive, it doesn't have to guess "the future", it just needs to be close... I'd settle for continuity even if small corrective steps have to be taken (we have HUGE steps now)...
                  EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

Originally posted by mgithens
                    ok, so we are aware that GPS shows us where we WERE... so it takes it a little bit of time to process this data, so let's just assume you were on interstate and going 80mph... it knows you are on the road... so why not just have it trail by 1/4 second... ya see??

it could absolutely be predictive, it doesn't have to guess "the future", it just needs to be close... I'd settle for continuity even if small corrective steps have to be taken (we have HUGE steps now)...
                    I agree with that, my though exactly.

Its not as if you can slow down the car from 80-0mph in 1/4 of the seconds for it not to work right

Comment

Originally posted by Chris31
                      There are some GPS that updates much quicker. Dont know what software will update as quick.
                      The NMEA interface (ASCII) is a maximum of 1 update per second.

IIRC, sIRF can do faster, however it is still bound to the time it takes to process the signal in hardware - Destinator for example in sIRF mode isn't noticably faster.

OEM GPS systems tend to use a gyroscope in addition to GPS. This allows for temporary GPS outages, such as under bridges, and smoother updates as the software knows what is happening in between location updates.

In theory it would be possible using say the Destinator SDK to write your own GPS+gyroscope routines for an advanced, accurate interpolation between GPS sentance updates, I've yet to see anyone do it though.

Also, if you had a 3G internet connection and used Google Maps on the move using the gmap software mentioned above, you will still be limited to the same kind of 'jerky' updates. It's not a software problem, it's a hardware problem.

As for the anti aliasing, yes I agree that would be nice, however I am more looking forward to the texture+height 3d mapping add on for Destinator that baggers is writing as that's gonna kick the *** of anything we've seen so far.

Feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong, I'm only 99% sure on a couple of things not having tried the gyroscope stuff or the gmap etc.
                      Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                      Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Originally posted by mgithens

Believe me, it looks MUCH worse trying to update something based on the computer thinking where it should be rather than just updating at 1Hz and "jumping"

When i was writing my Destinator 2 addon and adding speed/bearing, I tried to be clever and get the speed to update at 5Hz when the GPS was updating at 1Hz. I did this in many ways, taking the differences between the last x updates, and every single one of them looked CRAP, because the differences from 1 second to the next were different than the period before that. When accelerating it would be all over the place, hell even at a steadyish speed it would go up and down then snap back to the right place, and it looked terrible. There is really no way to accurately guess what's going to happen with updates at 1Hz.

Some GPS receivers do 5Hz updates, but I am unaware of any bits of software which can use this update rate.

Garry
                        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                        www.aimee.cc

Comment

i think he was referring to the map display, but i'm not sure. i know the delorme product acts as he described, and it is annoying. the GPS update isn't the problem in that case. the "vehicle" is always moving within the map space, with the previously mentioned 1 second delay.

but, rather than keeping the vehicle in the middle, and moving the map, it waits until the vehicle is close to an edge, then jumps the map. so, your entire drive consists of moving to and edge, then jump/flip to the next map.

it would be nice if they scrolled the maps smoothly and kept the vehicle in the center. then again, i'd hate to end up with the vehicle marker burned into my lcd after awhile.

maybe it's not so bad the way it is. *grin*
                          3g Eclipse - VIA M10000/512M Ram
                          7"WideScreen - XM SkyFi1 - ipod - LinksysWiFi
                          NetStumbler / Delorme GPS+Maps / Itunes
                          05 Magnum - AVIC-N2 - xbox

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                            The NMEA interface (ASCII) is a maximum of 1 update per second.

IIRC, sIRF can do faster, however it is still bound to the time it takes to process the signal in hardware - Destinator for example in sIRF mode isn't noticably faster.

OEM GPS systems tend to use a gyroscope in addition to GPS. This allows for temporary GPS outages, such as under bridges, and smoother updates as the software knows what is happening in between location updates.

In theory it would be possible using say the Destinator SDK to write your own GPS+gyroscope routines for an advanced, accurate interpolation between GPS sentance updates, I've yet to see anyone do it though.

Also, if you had a 3G internet connection and used Google Maps on the move using the gmap software mentioned above, you will still be limited to the same kind of 'jerky' updates. It's not a software problem, it's a hardware problem.

As for the anti aliasing, yes I agree that would be nice, however I am more looking forward to the texture+height 3d mapping add on for Destinator that baggers is writing as that's gonna kick the *** of anything we've seen so far.

Feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong, I'm only 99% sure on a couple of things not having tried the gyroscope stuff or the gmap etc.

The garmin GPS16A is supposed to update at 5Hz. Im abit unsure what you meant by the hardware taking 1 secs to update. Does it just take 1 sec to calculate a position or does it calculate multiple times, average it, then spit out the averaged out values?

If the GPS16A outputs the same position 5 times a seconds then that int much of a help. It cant be like that surely? no?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris31
                              The garmin GPS16A is supposed to update at 5Hz. Im abit unsure what you meant by the hardware taking 1 secs to update. Does it just take 1 sec to calculate a position or does it calculate multiple times, average it, then spit out the averaged out values?

If the GPS16A outputs the same position 5 times a seconds then that int much of a help. It cant be like that surely? no?
                              1 second between "pulses" from GPS sats... so it is 1 second between updates...
                              EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

Working...
                              X