Best GPS software for carputer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best GPS software for carputer?

What is the best PC software to install go use with a GPS receiver on a carputer? I know they all have upsides and downsides, but what do you think? I'd like to have voice directions for me and voice commands for it. Also, be able to put in my own POI's easily and I know Sirius and XM are working on adding realtime traffic updates to nav systems, so compatablity for that would be good. Also, overall accuracy and helpfullness.

I know the Pioneer Avic N1 is known as a great system mostly becasue of it's good GPS (like 12 million POI's, mult. views, etc.). Is it possible to hack their software and use it with your own receiver? Or use their GPS receiver and software but not buy their unit? Thanks for any help.

Search the GPS forum using terms like "Best GPS". I did and got over 10 pages of results, many of which ask the identical question you have. Perhaps there are some useful answers in there for you.

Search also using terms like "Pioneer DVD" or "Pioneer GPS" to see if others have figured out how to do this. I did and found out that the DVD for the Pioneer unit only contains the map data. The software is embedded in the unit itself.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Good Reply

Now *that* is nice reply BugByte. I hate it when people say "search harder" then give you no specifics about what to search under. Then they tease you, and give you weggies then make you eat soap and..... uhh where was I.. Anyway, a little direction is nice, especially when you are a n00b like me

Comment

Originally posted by hotoru
        Now *that* is nice reply BugByte. I hate it when people say "search harder" then give you no specifics about what to search under. Then they tease you, and give you weggies then make you eat soap and..... uhh where was I.. Anyway, a little direction is nice, especially when you are a n00b like me
        Who's the best rock guitarist? What's the best car under US$50,000? What's the best color?

Asking subjective questions like this is only going to get other people's opinions, and isn't going to help you whatsoever.
        You really need to evaluate different products to form your own opinion or ask what people like about specific products.
        I'm certain that you have an ideal set of features in your mind. You can take the responses and see what product most closely matches your ideal feature set.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
          Asking subjective questions like this is only going to get other people's opinions, and isn't going to help you whatsoever.
          Still, you have to admit that some products suck and you would not want to find out by testing it yourself. So called "subjective" questions seem to have loads of people willing to put numbers to their opinions. One such place would be
          www.zdnet.com I find their reviews a good place to start, they review the more notable software and usually mention a competing package as well. They had a very non-subjective opinion that MS Streets and Trips 2005 with GPS = 6.6
          I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

i still need to order my usb gbs antenna. do they have wireless ones you could onto the under side of your sun roof? that would be pretty sweet

anyway i would be interested on the opinions for best gps software also. everybody has different reasons and also things change so old threads might not be accurate. last years best might not be this years best
            Carputer pics
            PC box under passenger seat - xenarc 7" 16:9 touchscreen
            dash screen 1

dash screen 2

dash screen 3

computer box pic 1

computer box pic 2

Comment

mega-hurtz... u from 7thgen by any chance?
              i thought about the wireless idea, but wouldn't the antenna still have to be power somehow? so it would need like a battery or something.
              and yes, best gps software opinion would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                Who's the best rock guitarist?
                How can this be questioned?? Everyone knows it is (was) Jimi Hendrix

edit: I had to correct that typo made in my saint anger. soorryy

Comment

Originally posted by mpattonm
                  How can this be questioned?? Everyone knows it is (was) Jimmy Hendrix!!
                  Jimmy Hendrix? Is that some cheap stand-in for Jimi Hendrix? Besides, you can't compare an electrical guitarist to a bass guitarist......

Personally, I like the look of Destinator3. A fair few others on here use it as well
                  Leo

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk

A million people can't be wrong, right?

Well... unless they're all from the red states...

Comment

Originally posted by LeoTheHamster
                    Besides, you can't compare an electrical guitarist to a bass guitarist......
                    Then, Jimi Hendrix and Les Claypool.
                    Spent so far: $1,755
                    Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
                    CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
                    Don't mess with Texas.
                    It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Originally posted by rushnrockt
                      Still, you have to admit that some products suck and you would not want to find out by testing it yourself. So called "subjective" questions seem to have loads of people willing to put numbers to their opinions. One such place would be
                      www.zdnet.com I find their reviews a good place to start, they review the more notable software and usually mention a competing package as well. They had a very non-subjective opinion that MS Streets and Trips 2005 with GPS = 6.6
                      Opinions are ALWAYS subjective. That's what makes them opinions.
                      And what one person thinks sucks, another person will think is the proverbial shiznit.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

you know, i think this thread is more useful if everyone just post what they think is a good GPS software and why, and/or a bad software and why.
                        but instead you guys just talked about Jimi Hendrix.

Comment

hmmm, how about create a sticky with people's votes and then comments underneath? instead of having this question ask over and over and over and over.....

anyhow, so, whats the best gps software out there? copilot? destinator? mappoint? shell map?

Comment

I REALLY like delorme topo5 and their earthmate USB reciever (they also have a blue tooth receiver)

The topo 5 software shows 3d topographical maps of the area or just a 2d road map....and it is acurate. If I change lanes on the highway I can see the little arrow move a little. Delorme claims 3 meter accuracy.

The onlybad thing is the reciever had trouble getting a signal anywhere in the car except under the windsheild (duh) I eneded up sealing the reciever in a box on the roof since it is going to be used a lot.

another downside is the software contains 4 gigs of data files. I have plenty of space on my car pc, but others might not, so this isn't really a down for me.

www.delorme.com

Comment

Working...
                            X