gps in a shark fin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gps in a shark fin

This GPS lark is starting to do my head in now.

Got my 2nd bu303 from ebay as I found out the hard way with my first bu303 that they are not waterproof.

Currently have it on my windscreen just next to my windscreen mirror and it lost lock on about 6 times on my way to work the other day (in about a 15mins drive, completely hopeless in a built up area!!). Got a feeling its my lilliput as well as the location which is causing trouble with it. So looks like on my roof is the only option

Thinking about getting one of these shark fins and putting it in there. A good idea by someone else on here with a red 350Z Nissan. Anyone know where u can get one of these big enough to hold a bu303? All I can find is the tacky led ones which look really small on the bottom. Think i would use that plastic dip coating as well as I dont want to take any chances with this bu303.

Thanks in advance for any comments or help!!
    Volvo C70 - Installation in progress *gulp*

Have you tried toys r us for this thing?

Comment

Seriously,

Try installing the GPS on the roof first to see if its just the GPS not sensitive enough. There is a thread here about using an OEM GPS engine and a seperate antenna. You may find that useful.

The sharkfin or the combined GPS/FM can be bought from maplin.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris31
        Have you tried toys r us for this thing?
        COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I want one! It will help with my cars aerodynamics too! NOT!

Comment

hehe very good, the toys r us one is tempting.

Yeah I have tried it on the roof and its much better (still pretty rubbish in built up areas but I dont think I can do anything about that )

Comment

I've got a UK-based fabricator working on this at the moment.

Watch this space...
            A calm approach in a troubled world...
            http://www.inside-guide.co.uk/CarPC

CONSOLE_RR Project in progress...
            DC UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by corsamel
              hehe very good, the toys r us one is tempting.

Yeah I have tried it on the roof and its much better (still pretty rubbish in built up areas but I dont think I can do anything about that )
              Which area are you testing it? Even a good receiver fails in the city area in london. At one time I cant even get any lock until I drove out of that built up areas.

Best to buy the most sensitive receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris31
                Which area are you testing it? Even a good receiver fails in the city area in london. At one time I cant even get any lock until I drove out of that built up areas.

Best to buy the most sensitive receiver.
                Manchester city centre, although even in smaller towns when its on the roof it looses lock occasionally. Can't do anything about it though, must just be the bu303 receiver.

Tested it again tonight on a 15min drive with the bu303 on my windscreen and I turned the Lilliput screen off. It still lost 'lock on' twice in 5mins and it had a clear enough view of the sky as well! doesn't make much sense to me.

Comment

I drove in Manchester City Centre last week - my GPS was losing lock constantly. In the end I switched off my GPS as it keep throwing the maps to the other side of Manchester - I needed Chinatown and got so lost it was unbelievable! I was hoping the GPS could help - lol!

I've got the Haicom 202 I think it is and it is always losing lock ... I'm wondering if it is my choice of GPS receiver and also the fact it is a couple of years old now.

Comment

If your car has a rear deck spoiler with a brake light in it, you might try to take the light out and carve out a hole big enough to put the gps mouse inside. Then just run the wires the same way the brake light wires go and you'll have a water tight location that doesn't block any signal. That is what I did and I get 11 - 12 sats locked all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by UK_MP3Car
                      I drove in Manchester City Centre last week - my GPS was losing lock constantly. In the end I switched off my GPS as it keep throwing the maps to the other side of Manchester - I needed Chinatown and got so lost it was unbelievable! I was hoping the GPS could help - lol!

I've got the Haicom 202 I think it is and it is always losing lock ... I'm wondering if it is my choice of GPS receiver and also the fact it is a couple of years old now.
                      Where abouts is your receiver placed? Try it on the roof as this is the best place. Although even with mine on the roof in Manchester city centre 75% of the time it has no lock which is pretty useless.

I've asked a couple of these road angel owners and other gps devices (not through a pc) and they all say its fine in a city. If this is true we must just need a better gps mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by mpfjr
                        If your car has a rear deck spoiler with a brake light in it, you might try to take the light out and carve out a hole big enough to put the gps mouse inside. Then just run the wires the same way the brake light wires go and you'll have a water tight location that doesn't block any signal. That is what I did and I get 11 - 12 sats locked all the time.
                        think my rear spolier is fibreglass will it go through that. Good idea if it will though. Still a risk of damp getting in I reckon though.

I can't even get 11 sats when its in the middle of my roof with a complete clear blue sky... max I have ever had is about 9.

Comment

It was on the roof out of my sunroof

Comment

I have done this.. I stuffed a BU-303 into one of those hollow BMW style sharkfins you can buy on ebay.. The BU-303 was like 1/8" too big though.. I had to do a lot of shaving and cutting via Dremel..

some info and pics here:
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...9&page=5&pp=15

--mike
                            CarPC

Comment

Nice install leemik.

@corsamel

I think its pointless installing the one you got inside, under the fin, or whatever if you cant even get a decent lock outside the car.

Check the spec on your GPS and compare it with the more sensitive one. I have a GPS16 from garmin and still looses lock now and again.

Look like you have a faulty unit or just isnt sensitive enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X