Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iGuidance 2.1 Review,Info - ETA [3/21]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • iGuidance 2.1 Review,Info - ETA [3/21]

    iGuidance N. America:
    Two new versions will be released: update v2.0.2 (available on 4/1/05) & map upgrade v2.1 (available on 3/21/05).

    -V2.0.2: free of charge + $14 shipping/handling to existing registered v2.0 customers w/ valid serial number and proof of purchase ONLY. It will have all the same user interface enhancements and bug fixes as v2.1 but NO new map. This update is for customers who purchased iGuidance v2.0 or v2.0.1 through iNav online store or any of its authorized resellers prior to release of v2.1.

    -V2.1 has:
    • New N. America map (including expanded Canada coverage but excluding Alaska). Approx 2.3GB map data (500MB more than v2.0)
    • Bug fixes for map routing along eastern coastal states (incl. FL)
    • Improved bluetooth connectivity
    • Longer distance routing
    • VGA & landscape support for PPC
    • Full screen mode for laptop (full screen for ppc is already available on v2.0)
    • 4 pre-defined color themes for map
    • Enhanced 3D view
    • Real time weather report (internet access required via LAN, BT, mobile phone, WI-FI, etc)
    • 3 CD’s

    Note: Customers who purchased v2.0/v2.0.1 within two-month period before the actual v2.1 release date (3/21/05) may upgrade to v2.1 for $14 (cover shipping/handling) through iNav Corporation. For more detail on how to qualify for update/upgrade, please visit www.inavcorp.com/upgrade/index.html . (Note : our website is still in the process of being updated)

    iGuidance Europe:
    Europe edition will be released and sold through iNav online store and its U.S. authorized resellers. ETA date: Q2/2005.

    Here is a Mini Review HERE
    [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
    [iGmon]
    Download MP3 MixTapes

  • #2
    I wonder if the full screen feature will help out making the keyboard/POI bigger on a 7" screen.........
    [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
    [iGmon]
    Download MP3 MixTapes

    Comment


    • #3
      i'll wait for v3. v2 is good enough till v3 comes out.

      Comment


      • #4
        i just hope someone finally reskins their menus somehow to make MUCH bigger buttons so that we can actually use it on a 7" touchscreen.
        '05 Acura TL w/ Navi & Bluetooth, JL Audio Cleansweep, JL Audio XR650 CSI, JL Audio XR650 CXI, JL Audio 300/4 Speaker Amp, Eclipse SW6123.4 12" Sub, JL Audio 250/1 Sub Amp, Optima D35 YellowTop Battery http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184473/1

        Comment


        • #5
          I hope they improve the interface. It really needs work. I like the weather feature
          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

          Comment


          • #6
            Is anyone as disenchanchised by iGuidance's customer service as I am? I understand that they have to pay NavTeq for new maps, so the 2.1 upgrade costing some money makes sense, I can live with that...

            But have you actually tried to register with them? First off, their system has bugs. Second, it REQUIRES all sorts of personal data, including your phone number, where you bought the software, how much you paid, what kind of computer you use... And to top it off, you have to FAX them a copy of your receipt! Just the fact that you have a registration number isn't enough, you have to FAX them! Arghghgh! What is this, 1980? Do they want me to tear out the first page of my product manual too? Turn to page 32, and enter the fourth word of the second paragraph for 'security'? Makes me sick.

            To top it off, they want to charge **$14** for shipping me an upgrade CD? Are they ******* joking? For one thing, how dare they charge money for a BUGFIX upgrade. For another thing, why isn't this upgrade available online? They've very clearly stated that the 2.0.2 version does NOT contain new maps...

            I'm pretty angry that they don't have better service. I'm writing them a note, basically stating that I won't be upgrading or recommending their software until such time as they rectify the situation. Customer service in the digital age is important, and I don't do business with those that take loyal customers for granted.
            Bush: Proof that humans really did evolve from apes.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not outraged, but a bit dissapointed that it's costing more money...since I JUST purchased the software. Paying for shipping on a CD, that's understandable, but I agree that 14 bucks is a bit over the top. They really should have an optional download link. It seems their site needs a lot more work to provide better authentication of validating your registration and secure download links for their paying customers to upgrade. The 2nd thing that bugs me is the fact that they are only offering it to customers who purchased within the last 2 months, while this doesn't apply to me, don't most software companies now allow free upgrades/bug fixes within a current version? ie: 2.0 to 2.x is free, while 2.x to 3.0+ will have an upgrade cost?? So far, I'm mostly satisfied with their software, but there is a lot of room for improvement, both on the software side, as well as customer service.
              -GiZak-
              Carputer Project: 98% Complete!! *tweakin'*
              Xenarc 7TSV | Opus 150 | Biostar M7NCG400 | Athlon Mobile2200 | Seagate 160Gb | Kingston 2x256mb | BT Holux GR-231 GPS | LiteOn CD-R/DVD| Keyhole Rev. Cam | Zippy Mini-glow Keyboard

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jpelzer
                Is anyone as disenchanchised by iGuidance's customer service as I am? I understand that they have to pay NavTeq for new maps, so the 2.1 upgrade costing some money makes sense, I can live with that...

                But have you actually tried to register with them? First off, their system has bugs. Second, it REQUIRES all sorts of personal data, including your phone number, where you bought the software, how much you paid, what kind of computer you use... And to top it off, you have to FAX them a copy of your receipt! Just the fact that you have a registration number isn't enough, you have to FAX them! Arghghgh! What is this, 1980? Do they want me to tear out the first page of my product manual too? Turn to page 32, and enter the fourth word of the second paragraph for 'security'? Makes me sick.

                To top it off, they want to charge **$14** for shipping me an upgrade CD? Are they ******* joking? For one thing, how dare they charge money for a BUGFIX upgrade. For another thing, why isn't this upgrade available online? They've very clearly stated that the 2.0.2 version does NOT contain new maps...

                I'm pretty angry that they don't have better service. I'm writing them a note, basically stating that I won't be upgrading or recommending their software until such time as they rectify the situation. Customer service in the digital age is important, and I don't do business with those that take loyal customers for granted.
                I agree with everything quoted.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gizak
                  I'm not outraged, but a bit dissapointed that it's costing more money...since I JUST purchased the software. Paying for shipping on a CD, that's understandable, but I agree that 14 bucks is a bit over the top. They really should have an optional download link. It seems their site needs a lot more work to provide better authentication of validating your registration and secure download links for their paying customers to upgrade. The 2nd thing that bugs me is the fact that they are only offering it to customers who purchased within the last 2 months, while this doesn't apply to me, don't most software companies now allow free upgrades/bug fixes within a current version? ie: 2.0 to 2.x is free, while 2.x to 3.0+ will have an upgrade cost?? So far, I'm mostly satisfied with their software, but there is a lot of room for improvement, both on the software side, as well as customer service.
                  Welcome to the internet. Don't take this as an insult, but it sounds like you've never dealt with a smaller 'boutique' software company before. This is relatively standard in this business. Those who 'upgrade' are basically receiving a full-blown version of the application with updated maps. There are MANY people out there who would love to scam the company and only pay $14 for this since they know they will receive the complete software package. iNav is just trying to find the best in-between to not ****-off current customers and to thwart thieves.

                  iNav licenses the maps from Navtech and I would assume they pay a hefty price for the mapping data. They are essentially offering you a free update to the mapping data (something that you will NOT receive from other GPS software companies) in addition to a code update.

                  Could they make an authentication program that would authenticate each copy over the internet with their backend servers? Sure, but that would cost way more $ for them to implement rather than the current archaic scheme.

                  On a final note, again don't take this as an insult, but you've probably never sent in an Upgrade rebate on a piece of software. It usually requires that you MAIL in a proof of the older software you are upgrading from. This can include a copy of the first page of the manual, a copy of the program CD or some other hard evidence that you used to own a legitimate copy of the software.

                  -HD

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fullscreen is already available in iG 2.0 with NaviVoice
                    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

                    1995 Lexus SC300

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hd54321
                      Welcome to the internet. Don't take this as an insult, but it sounds like you've never dealt with a smaller 'boutique' software company before. This is relatively standard in this business. Those who 'upgrade' are basically receiving a full-blown version of the application with updated maps. There are MANY people out there who would love to scam the company and only pay $14 for this since they know they will receive the complete software package. iNav is just trying to find the best in-between to not ****-off current customers and to thwart thieves.

                      iNav licenses the maps from Navtech and I would assume they pay a hefty price for the mapping data. They are essentially offering you a free update to the mapping data (something that you will NOT receive from other GPS software companies) in addition to a code update.

                      Could they make an authentication program that would authenticate each copy over the internet with their backend servers? Sure, but that would cost way more $ for them to implement rather than the current archaic scheme.

                      On a final note, again don't take this as an insult, but you've probably never sent in an Upgrade rebate on a piece of software. It usually requires that you MAIL in a proof of the older software you are upgrading from. This can include a copy of the first page of the manual, a copy of the program CD or some other hard evidence that you used to own a legitimate copy of the software.

                      -HD
                      Actually, they are only offering a free upgrad WITH the maps to customers who have purchased iGuidance in the last 2 months. Otherwise you get the updated version WITHOUT the maps for $14. So, no money out of their pocket if you get the update WITHOUT the maps. I agree that $14 is a bit high. I can understand the cost of shipping + cd's. So maybe $5-$7 would be a more fair price.

                      You cannot recieve the update (without maps) if you didnt buy iGuidance. Period. You have to provide them with so much info, it would be impossible otherwise. You even stated so in the last paragraph of your post. So your thievery theory is wrong. They are simply overcharging "because they can."

                      If you want the updates with the maps you have to pay full price (or upgrade price) if you didnt purchase iGuidance within the last 2 months.

                      Some sort of internet registration/authentication on their website to be able to download updates and content would probably be worth while for iNav. If they expect to stay in business in this day and age, they will have to implement it. I understand that it will cost more money and time to develope, but that's just the price of business. If they **** off enough customers, they will eventually go under. Which personally, I would hate to see since their software is so good.

                      Back on track: All in all, I look forward to iGuidance 2.1, but iNav needs to change some of their company policies, or they won't be around for long.

                      The 2007 Scion tC + Infill G4 Project | DVDxml.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        agreed.
                        www.mobile-effects.com

                        Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

                        Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X