Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best GPS i have used

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The best GPS i have used

    Originally I bought a hiacom (spelling) cf type reciver, had this running on the serial cable (mounted external), had ok reception in the city/country roads.

    Always used to drop out under follage though/

    Just bought a second hand Garmin gpII+, cant belive the differnce, i get 8 or more salitites in the city with at least 3 at full strenth, and it may go down to 4 in the bush, (alot better than none), acquasition is so much faster.

    I just purchased an external antenna GA-29 type and know have unbelivable reception.

    I was of the opinon that a mouse style gps would not be much different, but they are alot different, if you are having problems with signal, try a all in one gps unit.


    BTW i am in no way affiliated with garmin or any reseller, just telling my story

    also the anntenna i bought was the glesson style copy of the garmin

    Dave

  • #2
    im using the tomtom gps bluetooth unit.. i have no problem with it at all. it connects to the satilites quickly and has at least 7 or 8 connected.

    The battery life lasts about 5-6 hours which is more than enough have got a charger though.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think the OEM-GPS-modules have the best of both worlds.

      They are the same as used in the handheld/complete devices but are very small and use an external antenna.

      Seems different people had very good results with them (intellaworks, jcdillin, hklohman...).

      Just bought one myself (GPS 15L-W) and will be installing it soon I hope.
      List of front-ends/usefull apps
      XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't have problems with my phyros 360 USB .. I usually get 8 in the city/ urban canyon .. I Haven't test4ed in deep folage yet.. but I've taken it on country roads and stuff with trees covernig.. and of course under tunnels it's a no go ..

        I think mount placement is important.. I have mine on my dash and LEVEL .. I found that to be a big deal.. I tried mounting it at 90 degrees once.. hmm.. not gonna work ..

        but ya know whatever works.. glad to hear your satisfied with your solution .. I wouldn't ahve it any other way
        Shawn



        Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by World705
          im using the tomtom gps bluetooth unit.. i have no problem with it at all. it connects to the satilites quickly and has at least 7 or 8 connected.

          The battery life lasts about 5-6 hours which is more than enough have got a charger though.
          Hey I have the same GPS reciver. but having a hard time getting it connected. its there in the bluetooth manager from windows and has an serial port. but MM doesnt see the gps.
          Volvo 760 Turbo Intecooler
          M900 + 512MB, 120GB HD, VroomPC casing, Wired GPS unit, Flipscreen 7"

          Comment


          • #6
            bu-303

            seriously though it is ****! but for some reason when it falls under my passenger seat it gets 8 locks!!!!

            decent external activeantennas make a huge difference and can be added to usb devices such as the bu-303.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
              bu-303

              seriously though it is ****! but for some reason when it falls under my passenger seat it gets 8 locks!!!!

              decent external activeantennas make a huge difference and can be added to usb devices such as the bu-303.
              might check that out then this tomtom thing is kill'n me
              There about 60 euros. * i did a quick search* that a good price?
              Volvo 760 Turbo Intecooler
              M900 + 512MB, 120GB HD, VroomPC casing, Wired GPS unit, Flipscreen 7"

              Comment


              • #8
                if you can, get a sirf3 gps. much better.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                  if you can, get a sirf3 gps. much better.
                  I just purchased the BU-353 Sirf III unit from www.buygpsnow.com and it was an improvement over my Rikaline 6010. The 6010 was placed outside on the trunklid and the BU-353 is now placed on the passenger side of the dash behind a 28% tinted window and it still receives more satellites.
                  2005 Black Chevy Impala
                  Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Shelbrain
                    I just purchased the BU-353 Sirf III unit from www.buygpsnow.com and it was an improvement over my Rikaline 6010. The 6010 was placed outside on the trunklid and the BU-353 is now placed on the passenger side of the dash behind a 28% tinted window and it still receives more satellites.
                    hmm that is a pretty good price right? 88.95 Inc shipping ( to Holland )
                    Volvo 760 Turbo Intecooler
                    M900 + 512MB, 120GB HD, VroomPC casing, Wired GPS unit, Flipscreen 7"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      any OEM sirf 3 out yet?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I just bought a BU-353 and it's night and day better than the one that came with S&T 2005. Much fast connection. It sees way more satellites (typically 7 vs 3 or 4 with the S&T one). I've even got up to 10 from time to time when I'm in a flat area with few buildings.
                        Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                        Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                        Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X