GPS not recognized in AM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS not recognized in AM

Just like the title says...in the morning time. MY computer for some ODD reason does not "see" the GPS reciever in the AM regardless of if I reboot or whatever. Now in the afternoon there are never I should say HARDLY any issues at ALL! BTW the GPS is the Holux 210. I don't know what it could be. I thought switching USB ports would help but my touch screen still works and the reciever is intermittent.

ANy thoughts?
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/170000-170999/170063_221.jpg

I doubt any of the suggestions are the correct reason, but just in case I'll throw them out there.

Too cold in the morning, maybe the connection (usb or whatever) is getting slightly unplugged because of the metal shrinking.

Condensation... if gps receiver is outside, condensation may form on/in it and cause it to not work correctly until condensation evaoprates.

I dunno.. hopefully this'll help you a little bit

Comment

the suggesting with regards to the metal shrinkage would be a possibility, but the touch screen works...no problem...also the reciever is inside the car. mounted onthe dash and run through the dash down to under the seat where the computer is...keep the suggestions coming though!!...thanks!

Comment

Set the clock to PM?

Sorry couldnt resist
        CarPC Status:
        GPS: 99%
        Hardware: 99%
        Software: 92%
        Case Install: 99.9%
        Dash Install: 100%
        Car Install: 72%

Comment

Originally posted by NiN^_^NiN
          Set the clock to PM?

Sorry couldnt resist
          ...lol...tis ok

Comment

First thing that comes to mind is a moisture issue. Seems like some water made it into the unit and is condesnsing easily. Though, what i am woundering, does the same thing happen if you leave it overnight and the first time u start the car is in the afternoon?
            Mark

Car'Puter Project
            - Xenarc 700TSV
            - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
            - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
            - M2-ATX
            - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
            - Garmin 15H GPS
            - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

in terms of your touchscreen usb working, it could be the way the connectors are... perhaps the usb connector for the gps module is crap (or if you use usb extensions). Lower quality connectors could cause the issue.

I guess, if you can easily reach under the seat to where the usb connector usb, fiddle around with it and see if that gets it working.

Comment

where do you leave the car overnight?
                have you tried using the car in the afternoon only?
                what temperature is it in ur area?
                where do you leave the car between AM and afternoon?
                can you try taking the GPS in with you in the night and bringing it into the car and pluggin in the AM? (Thinking about temperature/humidity/etc changes going on in the car)... if this doesnt work then even more extreme u can try taking the whole CPC inside at night and out again in the AM...
                Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Actually take the GPS inside the house where its warm and in the morning plug it in and see if it detects it.

if not try chaning the clock to PM
                  CarPC Status:
                  GPS: 99%
                  Hardware: 99%
                  Software: 92%
                  Case Install: 99.9%
                  Dash Install: 100%
                  Car Install: 72%

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Unfortunately I haven't been able to leave the car overnight and start it in the afternoon to check if it does the same thing. I will attempt this sometime this weekend. The car is usually parked behind the house, ie outside. I'm in Philadelphia and its cold as an Eskimo's Balls here at times. Taking the GPS in is another option but I got that thing wired through the dash and whatnot...but I may give it a shot just to see what happens.

If all else fails, I may just make a little blanket for my gps unit and call it a day beats changing the clock and confusing myself.

Comment

I think that it might be one of two... Temperature/Humidity OR GPS initialization (something to do with the "backup" battery in the unit itself)...

I'm leaning more towards temp/humid though... Can you maybe leave the car running a while before you leave? Like 30mins? Give some more detail, how long is your ride to work, where do you leave the car between what you consider as AM (not working GPS) and PM (working GPS)... where (what temperature, etc) has the car been in between the two?

Basically you have to isolate what changes from T1 (AM/GPS) to T2 (PM/GPS OK)... it would be logical that itd be something related to temperature (because the sun is out longer in T2 shining on the car), but it might not be exactly true depending on garage conditions, etc... Help us help you by describing what changes from T1 to T2
                      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                      Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

RoyN,

well the car is parked in an outside parking lot from AM to PM (T1-T2). The gps reciever is located on the dash next to the windshield (not sure if I said that before), but what I did this morning was to basically unplug the gps reciever while the CPC was on and swap USB ports with the touchscreen. THe pc recognized it and proceeded to install the software, again. It very well may be a battery inside the gps unit issue, not really sure.

Comment

UPDATE:

SInce reinstalling the GPS unit yesterday morning, its been consistently working. Had no issues at all this morning.

Comment

Working...
                          X