Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS for LCDs

I'm new here, please help
    I got regular 7"LCD wit tv tuner built in, is there anyway i can hook gps on there?

What kind of 7" LCD do you have? If you have one with RCA in, then good luck reading anything on it.
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Ok,

First up, you can't really connect a GPS right upto a screen. You'll need to plug it into a computer, PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) First. You will then need to install some software, here are some examples.

- iGuidance
      - Microsoft Map Point
      - Destinator

Do you have your LCD plugged into a computer in the car? If so you'll just need a USB GPS unit (here, here and here) and to set that up with some GPS mapping software.

If you have a PDA you'll need to perhaps get a bluetooth GPS unit (ebay search) and set it up that way.

Comment

Eh, back in the days we had navigation systems in our cars that weren't pc-based and didn't need a usb gps

Maybe this guy wants to connect a VDO / Pioneer or other system to the monitor?

Anyway, as long as the screen doesn't have RGB input, it will be hard to read, and not always easy to connect.
        List of front-ends/usefull apps
        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Originally posted by JC-S60
          Maybe this guy wants to connect a VDO / Pioneer or other system to the monitor?
          True, even though the suggestions posted so far are good, there isn't any real information to go on.

@djkl407 - You gotta give us something in order to help you out. Post some details such as:

- What is the LCD monitor's manufacturer/model number?
          - Do you already have a GPS unit you're trying to connect?
          - If so, what is the GPS's manufacturer/model number?
          - What is your end goal?

Comment

2 7"sunvisor TVs, and an indash dvd/tvtuner built-in. Ima hook xbox to it for now since pc cost too much,and yes, the tvs are rca input

Comment

Hey question here. I have a Pioneer 7" LCD. Will any USB GPS receiver work?? I've found quite a few on ebay for like 39.99 and such, dont really want to spend alot of money. What ya guys think?

P.S. Example Here

Comment

having super teriffic engrish for happy gps
                Attached Files
                Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Wut does that mean man??? A ok?!?!?!?!

Comment

Does your pioneer have a usb-connection? It's not that difficult if you apply logic sometimes!
                    List of front-ends/usefull apps
                    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Originally posted by tj!2k4
                      having super teriffic engrish for happy gps

Originally posted by Tx_Cat
                      I have a Pioneer 7" LCD. Will any USB GPS receiver work?
                      No. No way. Definitely not.

Tx_Cat / djkl407 - You're not going to be able to buy any cheap GPS and connect it directly to your LCD monitors. The reason they're so cheap is that the processing is done with a computer rather than built in. This device - http://www.icircuits.com/prod_geostampplus.html - will overlay the GPS data from a serial GPS receiver onto a video signal. But then, that information isn't really useful since you want to see maps/streets and have it guide you to your destination, right? For that you need processing power, either in the form of a PC, a PDA with an optional video out adapter or a standalone GPS navigation system. Any of those three are going to cost you some money.

Comment

You need a few things to make GPS funtional, be it at home or in your car:
                        The receiver
                        This is what receives the signal from the satellites about your position. Most of these are a little smaller than a computer mouse. There are aftermarket GPS receivers that have a more OEM look, like the fintenna on BMWs for example.

Interpreter software/map data
                        You could have an interpreter wihtout map data, but that would only result in your ability to get latitude and longitude. Most people can't interpret their position from only lat & long, so the map data is crucial for plotting your position.
                        Standalone Garmin units (at least the lower-end ones) go strictly by latitude and longitude. You can set waypoints to find your way around. Say you're going hiking in the woods. You park your car and set a waypoint at your car, so no matter how deep into the woods you go, you can find your way back to your car (assuming you don't get eaten by a mountain lion). This isn't going to tell you if there's obstacles in your path, only the direction from your current position to your waypoint.

Navigation software
                        This is what you want in a vehicle. The map data for nav software includes streets, roads, highways, byways and nondescript goat paths. They follow basic driving rules such as driving on the streets only (so you don't drive through the lobby of an office building). The road map data also includes one-way streets and categorizes roads (Freeways, major streets, etc.) to optimize the routes.
                        Basically the navigation software plots addresses and determines the driving route between the two addresses. They will give you turn-by-turn directions from the starting waypoint to the ending waypoint. Many software for vehicles will also speak the directions to you, saving you from having to look at a map while driving. It knows when you're approaching your turn based on your current position from the GPS data.

Output
                        Usually a vide screen of some sort. directions can also be printed on a printer, for computer-based GPS software.

For those of you with a screen, you can't get a $39.99 GPS receiver. You'd only have the the first and the last of the elements necessary.

I hope this clears up some questions for other n00bs as well.
                        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Well, Im putting a pc in my car(PIII 600 512ram) and using my Pio LCD as monitor, I was referring to that!!! Darque, thanks for the well informed view man.. I really learned. I first need to make my stupid LCD to work with my PC (having setting issues with vide card) then I'll worry about putting GPS on my car

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Cat
                            Well, Im putting a pc in my car(PIII 600 512ram) and using my Pio LCD as monitor, I was referring to that!!! Darque, thanks for the well informed view man.. I really learned. I first need to make my stupid LCD to work with my PC (having setting issues with vide card) then I'll worry about putting GPS on my car

This should be an interesting project. I for one would love to see the results of adding this Pioneer LCD to a PIII motherboard....
                            EPIA M10000, 512 Ram, Opus 90, GPS, XM, 7" Xenarc, Pioneer HU
                            Installed & Working....
                            Custom enclosures
                            Newbie Guide

Comment

Well it works believe it or not. Thanks to cold fusion it works. I see the bios, when windows is loading and I get to windows, my only problem is to get rid of the lines that go down over and over and over again. I set my resolution and refresh rate low and I still get the lines.
                              djkl, sorry for hijaking ya thread man I did asked about GPS tho!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X