try before i buy??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• try before i buy??

my carpc is about done... i want to get the gps up and running.

im torn between iguidance and destinator. i have already thrown 100 bucks at one program... and hated it. (delorme street atlas). it was hard to use on a laptop... i cant imainge it on a 7" screen. the driving directions were poor. they only thing i liked about it was that i could add topo maps. i might keep it on a system.. just for the topo.

anyhow.. i dont want to throw 100-150 at one of these other programs only to find out i dont like it.

from reading here it seems people are decided on the 2... most of the time even recommending both. the demos and reviews on both the sites look nice... but im worried day to day use will be poor.

what do you find as limitations or negative about these programs???

my system will have the 7" xenarc IDT on a via 10000 running with centrafuse. i want day to day driving direction that are clear.. fast... easy to follow. i want an easy interface to route to a destination address. id like to be able to map to a gps coordinate. id also like to do a preprogramed track starting on one gps coordinate... ending on another... with waypoints in between.

i am willing to run it outside of centrafuse if i get a better overall experience.

iguidance is what i use and i really like it!
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

I've used both at this point and can offer you the following considerations:

Destinator

+ Aesthetics: Looks nice, both interface (and very well integrated in to Centrafuse) and map-wise.
      + Ease of use: With the CF integration or any of the other D3-oriented software (eg MapMonkey, Freedrive) it is very easy to use - large buttons and labels.
      - Routing: Destinator can do some really ***-backward routing on sideroads when there is a more straightforward way to get to your destination.
      - Map size: If you're in the United States you won't be able to plan a cross-country trip using Destinator. It breaks the US map up into 6 or 7 regions, and there is no way to install more than one region at a time, or even to merge two regions.

iGuidance

- Aesthetics: Doesn't look as nice as as D3 either map or interface-wise.
      - Ease of use: Can be difficult to operate without a keyboard (eg backing out of menus w/o Esc key), and also at this point still not ideally suited to small-screen use due to small font sizes - font size (I believe) can however be "adjusted" by modifying the executable using Resource Hacker.
      + Routing: Routing is pretty much straight forward and simple.
      + Map size: iGuidance breaks the US down into a couple of regions as well, but you can install more than one region at a time. (They do have to be installed at the same time, you can't install one region and then just decide to add another later on - you have to re-select the original region as well.) I suppose the only limitation is how long you want to sit there waiting for it to install all the maps, or hard drive space.

So you see.. the best software would really be a nonexistant combination of both of these.. =)

There are a couple of things I didn't touch upon, such as voice guidance, perhaps someone else can offer up a comparison for those items between these apps.. Gotta get to bed now!
      Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Here's how Destinator breaks up the US..

Comment

.. and Canada..

Comment

thank you for the detailed response. i appreciate that.

it does always seem that a combination of 2 products will make the best one!

i dont mind the breakup of the country. i am in ca... and i would rarely cross out of the map that includes that into another. i do have a trip next year that would... but i think i could deal with changing maps.

does you guys happen to know if D3 will let me map to a GPS coordinate? this is important to me because i do a lot of back country driving... and most trails (from books) are given in gps coordinates. i would like to be able to lay out a trail before my trip (or during) that will take me along the predetermined route.

Comment

i love IGuidance, I did the same thing as you and got SAUSA 2005 but i did get a gps out of it...
              1990 Jeep Cherokee
              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I bought a freaking Delorme a couple years ago, and have used it twice. As everyone knows, the software sucks (Street Atlas) for 7 inch screens.

TJ, thanks for the info and comparisons on the two programs.
                www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

im going to join the same boat cause im almost ready to install my carputer but i still havent decided on which to get. i've heard good reviews on both iguidance and destinator but i have also heard some good reviews on copilot 7 (http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/copilot-live-laptop7.php)
                  im mainly looking for a simple to use gps software that gives simple directions, voice capable, and if i turn off some road that it tells me to stay on, it will relocate its position and tell me how to get to my location from the road i turned on.

Comment

From what I understand Copilot looks very nice and works very well, but did have some embedding problems, at least with Centrafuse. Here is the thread. He wound up returning it because of the embedding issues

edit: D3, iGuidance, Routis all re-route if you go off-course, and also provide voice prompts. I'm pretty sure Copilot does the same.

Comment

why is it important to imbed the program??? to me it seems that any program will benefit from the added real estate of launching externally... and having the full screen size. i am using meedio as my front end... with a new theme for touchscreens. i have been playing with it for a few days now... and i installed SA2005 to launch to an external window... using a button on the touchscreen. it works rather well.... the launching NOT the program .

i was curious why imbedding is so important.

i am going to look at co-pilot. at this point i just want something good and stable... im not so worried about price. i just dont want to waste the money when i realize it isnt a good product.

Comment

Working...
                      X