GPS and Satelite Radio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS and Satelite Radio

Hello all.. I haven't realy done any major investigation on this but could say a GPS reciever with the correct software also pickup satelite radio? Do they run on the same frequencies? Are they different satelites for the FM reception? Does anybody know of any good USB pc based satelite radio recievers?

Cheers.
    CAR INFO HERE
    "He who dies with the most toys, wins".

Originally posted by vxcarpc
    Hello all.. I haven't realy done any major investigation on this but could say a GPS reciever with the correct software also pickup satelite radio? Do they run on the same frequencies? Are they different satelites for the FM reception? Does anybody know of any good USB pc based satelite radio recievers?
    In essence all electromagnetic waves are of the same nature, so yes, you can use the same equipment to receive GPS / XM / Sirius / AM / FM / whatever. To receive signal of frequency A with device designed for frequency B all you need is to drive to (or from) the source of the signal to appropriately increase (or decrease) frequency A to the desired frequency B.

I leave required calculation as a trivial exercise for the reader.
    Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

Originally posted by vxcarpc

Cheers.
      FM is not from satilte it is from Towers.

I don't think it would be cost efective to try to use a gps for xm, the likelyhood that it would work is slim to none.

Each antenna is tuned for each use.

The only USB satilite i know of is the XMPCR but they are hard to get now days.

But what good is it going to do you? XM is only for US. unless you know something i dont lol.
      1990 Jeep Cherokee
      2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
      2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Webdog is right, what XM and GPS have in common is that their signals are transmitted from satellites. After that, there's little in common. XM runs at 2.3 ghz and GPS runs at about 1.5ghz. Your GPS receiver includes a microchip inside that processes the GPS signal and converts it to messages that it sends to your computer, most often NMEA strings of information.

This is not how XM does it. In fact, I don't have any idea how XM does it, other than I'm pretty sure they're not outputting NMEA strings and converting that into audio!

Incompatible systems. Kind of like trying to use an 56K dialup modem to connect to a DSL line.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
        X