Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low GPS sat count

Forgive me for posting so much ..

can bundling your cables together cause bad GPS reception?.. or a long run of the USB cable/.. I assume the signial is digital.. either on or off..

I have a pharos 360 (MS Branded) .. I have all my cables wrapped in a spiral plastic wrap.

VGA, 3 USB, remote power line for relay for screen and firewire CD drive, Firewire, might be more I forget..

I'm just trying to figure out if it's just placement or what.. I used the sirfdemo thing, and I seem to get a lock quickly but it's using 3 sats maybe 4 .. I used to see 12 or so ..

could the seasons changing affect this?..
    Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I thought it had something to do with my new car pc setup. I too have the pharos 360 unit ( came with MS Streets and Trips ), and i have noticed that its harder for me to get signal now. When i open the sunroof, bingo..8-10 sats....
    The windows never had any impact in the signal before....wonder if its the seasons too.

Comment

Have the same unit.. i noticed if you have the mouse any NEAR your radio antenna the sats drop. My antenna is in the rear window.. i moved it to the front and the fewest i see now are 6 sats
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I've noticed this as well, with my BU-303.

During testdrives with the laptop: 6-8 sats. Now, with all equipment build-in, the signal just seems to "go away", last weeks I was sometimes even unable to get a good fix, or it took ages to get one.

I've opened my BU-303, and have connected an external antenna (which I had from a few years ago), and mounted that on the roof of my car. Now I have 8-10 sats. However, during bad weather (rain, fog and so on), I have "only" 5-6 sats. So it depends on wheater conditions, but thats usually for any radio-signal.
        My Opel Astra 1993 CarPC: http://www.djsmiley.com/projects/carpc/photos/

Comment

well I did some "testing" today .. I found if I moved it further up on my dash ( a more clear view of the sky I assume) I seemed to get better signal .. still 5-6 sats . it was rainy today though ..

I also made sure it was level.. before it was on a bit of an incline.. also in moving it close to my widshield I moved further from my LCD I wonder if that would be interfearing with it..

how do you go about making an antenna? .. I searched on the forums but found little..

I'm also using destinator now.. and it is MUCH less picky with signal strength than routis.
          Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

This is a slightly older post, but I am having similar problems with my bu-303.... How did you mod it for an external antenna?
            Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

I Have now since moved it to the roof.. and I get double the locks most times now..

I used a oil filter wrench ($3 plastic cover looking thing at walmart) it covers the gps well.. then I sealed it with hot glue, it easily removable and still keeps a good seal, no paint damage (they use hot glue for paintless dent repair)
              Shawn

Comment

You can also use something called plasticote and dip the unit. Veetid did it and it worked well for him.

Here is the link.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I changed my iGPS260 to a serial connection from the USB and it made all the difference in the world. I am working on the documentation for the group so others can do th same.
                  If It's Called Tourist Season, Why Can't We Hunt Them?
                  I Just Do What the Voices Inside My Head Tell Me to Do.
                  The Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in.
                  Texas DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

Comment

Originally posted by neon_eddy
                    I Have now since moved it to the roof.. and I get double the locks most times now..

I used a oil filter wrench ($3 plastic cover looking thing at walmart) it covers the gps well.. then I sealed it with hot glue, it easily removable and still keeps a good seal, no paint damage (they use hot glue for paintless dent repair)
                    Can you please post some pics of this?
                    01 Metro LSI
                    79hp 41MPG Highway
                    Check my progress
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51295

Comment

I've been strugling with this myself with my reciever in the rearview mirror, From experimenting I've concluded that the reciever is getting interference from the heater wires and in this high humidty i've discovered that a small amoutn of moister on the rear window will also give block out almost all signals. The only way I can get a lock inside the car is to have the reciever at about a 30 degree angle and with the windows dry.
                      01 Metro LSI
                      79hp 41MPG Highway
                      Check my progress
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51295

Comment

Working...
                      X