DeLorme Vs. Microsoft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeLorme Vs. Microsoft

i' am interested in purchasing a GPS software with receiver...

and i don't know which to buy the DeLomore or microsoft...both come with

software and receiver..I want to use them with my lap top and Pc pocket...

can you guys please give me the pro's can con's of both products...

i dont want to throw away money on something that is not going to work..

if you guys can suggest something better...than the one's I' am leaning

towards..please let know...

thanks,...

just get a seperate reciver like rakaline or something and use iguidance

Comment

I have no personal experience, but I have READ and ed a lot on the topic because I am soon to be needin GPS. From what I read Iguidance knocks the pants off of those others.
      Carputer status: [-*---------]
      Im thinking laptop...

Comment

I've got Delorme Street Atlas. If I had it to do over again, I'd get iGuidance or Copilot.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

hehe i got street atlas 05 also it s HORRIBLE im alwayz driving in my neighbors yards or off the freeway lol then i got iguidance as a gift and woohoo im back on the street

Comment

Well I have a Microsoft branded Pharos gps-360 that I bought with S&T2005 but I want voice prompts to use while driving. I also have the Delorme Street Atlas 2005 software and I've been trying to get my gps receiver to work with this software but i've been having some trouble with it.

Can anybody help me with this?

What I'm doing is going to the gps tab and selecting the device where it has a list of different gps receivers, but there is no pharos 360/microsoft so I just chose "Generic NMEA" when I hit the "Start GPS" it gives me "Cannot open specified USB port"

Thanks in advance.

Comment

If you want my opinion, between the 2 choice, I'll go with neither. Save your money and get the right stuff the first time.

There's deals on iGuidance that bundles with receiver. It may not be a real bundle, but the result is lightyears away from these 2 products.

Comment

so is this one better than the one's i mentioned....

http://www.inavcorp.com/products/iguidance2_combo.html

or is it waste of my money.........

Comment

Whatreceiver is the best for.......IGuidance?

can you guys give me the brand and model..

if posible a direct link..

thanks

Comment

i had good luck wit earthmate usb one with serial to usb emulator works good and fast

Comment

^^^^where can i get earthmate?

Comment

Originally posted by bati
                        ^^^^where can i get earthmate?
                        I wouldn't go with earthmate... With the same price, you can get better receivers. Plus it's not waterproof, so you can't leave it outside unless you seal it up.

The bundle looks like the software is Version 1.0. If it is version 1.0, i wouldn't get that bundle. Just get the software and receiver seperately. I think iguidance is @ v2.1 now. A little bit enchanced from v2.0

Any NMEA protocol receivers works with iguidance. You'll just have to check with one would give good reception.

Here's a link on a gps mouse review. (somewhat outdated) but the website can give you a whole world of GPS info.

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=53

Comment

Originally posted by okay
                          What I'm doing is going to the gps tab and selecting the device where it has a list of different gps receivers, but there is no pharos 360/microsoft so I just chose "Generic NMEA" when I hit the "Start GPS" it gives me "Cannot open specified USB port"

Thanks in advance.
                          You have to specify what port the GPS is on. While mine has a USB connector on it, it has software that bridges the information over to a COM port. Right click on "My Computer" and then select "Properties" and then the "Hardware" tab. Click "Device Manager". Then click the "+" on the Universal Serial Controller line. Do you see your GPS? If not, it's bridged over to your serial port. Click on the "Ports (Com & Serial)" plus sign and look for devices there. It will be one of those. Figure out which one it is and go back to Street Atlas and set the proper Com port. Be sure to turn of "auto start GPS" and "automatically detect GPS" or you won't be able to get to the setting.
                          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                          Want to:
                          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Delorme Topo USA ........ way beter than anything ( except no voice control )

I use Destinator, IGuidance, Topo USA5 ( sometimes all at once )

Comment

For the GPS I like this one http://www.thegpsstore.com/detail.asp?product_id=RY200

It is Mag Mount, Waterproof and USB. It also gets it outside the car for better reception.
                              If It's Called Tourist Season, Why Can't We Hunt Them?
                              I Just Do What the Voices Inside My Head Tell Me to Do.
                              The Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in.
                              Texas DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

Comment

Working...
                              X