problems with gps when startup...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with gps when startup...

When i turn on my carpc and start MM, It wont find any sattelites. Then i run the Sirf program and press "connect. Then i press "synchronize baud....."
    and on the viewer i see 9-10 sat. Then i open MM again and now its working.
    So i restart my carpc and start MM again, and it works. I did that 3 times the same day and it worked.
    Then the next day (12 hours later), MM cant find any sattelites again and i have to do the same again with Sirf prog. aso. So strange!!
    My gps. conf. in MM is ok.
    Anyone know what the problem is?
    sorry about my bad english.
    P4.1,8 - 512 ram - Power: M1-ATX 6-24V DC/DC - HU: Blaupunkt Seattle MP74 - Lcd: lilliput touch. - GPS rec. Navilock NL-202U ( USB).- 2 usb for ex. - 1 cardread. 9 in 1. - Softw.: MapMonkey - Frontend: Roadrunner

Common issue that all GPS software has to deal with (hibernating). I thought MM accounted for that problem though. I might be wrong as I haven't had it in my car for a long time.
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

the only thing off of the top of my head is... is your gps being powered when the computer is off?

Since you turn off the computer overnight, it can lose all of it's backup battery, and maybe it just takes a really long time to re-aquire satellites.

Where if you turn off computer for only a short time, the capacitor or whatever reserve battery is in the gps unit has enough power to help the gps unit remember where it is while the computer is off.

Comment

Originally posted by xBrady
        Common issue that all GPS software has to deal with (hibernating). I thought MM accounted for that problem though. I might be wrong as I haven't had it in my car for a long time.
        Okay...And how do i fix it? And what is hibernating?
        P4.1,8 - 512 ram - Power: M1-ATX 6-24V DC/DC - HU: Blaupunkt Seattle MP74 - Lcd: lilliput touch. - GPS rec. Navilock NL-202U ( USB).- 2 usb for ex. - 1 cardread. 9 in 1. - Softw.: MapMonkey - Frontend: Roadrunner

Comment

Originally posted by yokeren
          Okay...And how do i fix it? And what is hibernating?
          Well I might be wrong about your problem if you aren't putting your computer into standby or hibernation.
          Installed.

Comment

Well I might be wrong about your problem if you aren't putting your computer into standby or hibernation.
            When i shut down i just cut the power in desktop. Not closing windows..but it shoudent be a problem.
            I can wait 3 hours and turn it on and it works. But not a day..is it about warm and cold start for the gps?

Comment

After leaving it off overnight, connect to it using hyperterminal at 4800 baud and see what happens.
              Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
              Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                After leaving it off overnight, connect to it using hyperterminal at 4800 baud and see what happens.
                in sirf or Nmea?

Comment

in sirf or Nmea?
                  without changing ANYTHING, it would help me tell you whats wrong if you can tell me what it does if you connect to it at 4800 baud with hyperterm, before you 'fix' it.

Also if don't get $GPRMC,00093,873763,23984884 kind of stuff try again at 9600 and also let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                    without changing ANYTHING, it would help me tell you whats wrong if you can tell me what it does if you connect to it at 4800 baud with hyperterm, before you 'fix' it.

Also if don't get $GPRMC,00093,873763,23984884 kind of stuff try again at 9600 and also let me know.
                    okay.. what is " hyperterminal", dont get it??

Comment

okay.. what is " hyperterminal", dont get it??
                      hyperterminal is in start/programs/accessories/communication.
                      Create a new connection and set it to the Com port your GPS receiver is running on. On the next screen you want to change the data bits to 4800, the parity to none, the stop bits to 1, and the parity to 8. I can't remember what else it will ask you as I'm on a Linux machine right now.
                      Installed.

Comment

Create a new connection and set it to the Com port your GPS receiver is running on. On the next screen you want to change the data bits to 4800, the parity to none, the stop bits to 1, and the parity to 8. I can't remember what else it will ask you as I'm on a Linux machine right now.
                        Exactly.

Purpose of the exercise is because it's the built in serial port tool in Windows, and because it just shows raw data, and because a fair few of us know what we're looking at when we see the raw data, it makes it easy for us to gain some insight into the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by wizawuza
                          the only thing off of the top of my head is... is your gps being powered when the computer is off?

Since you turn off the computer overnight, it can lose all of it's backup battery, and maybe it just takes a really long time to re-aquire satellites.

Where if you turn off computer for only a short time, the capacitor or whatever reserve battery is in the gps unit has enough power to help the gps unit remember where it is while the computer is off.
                          I think you have a point there..The GPS i powered by usb.. hmm...

Comment

I think you have a point there..The GPS i powered by usb.. hmm...
                            Yes so hence the questions about hyperterminal we're already one step ahead of you and want to find out what baud/protocol it defaults to so we can tell you to set that in your GPS program settings to save changing it each time.

Comment

I did it all..but for what reason?? Now i have a hyberterminal called "gps" with the datas and it is running.. Dont get the point for doing this!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X