RG 174 cable with SMB female connector to USB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RG 174 cable with SMB female connector to USB

My work deals with GPS tracking units which are installed in vehicles, but I had to the idea to connect a USB connector to one of the GPS antennas so that I can hook it up to my laptop and use Streets & Trips.

The connector on the GPS antenna right now is a SMB female and I want to convert it to a USB. Is this possible? Would I need any firmware/software, etc? (new to this stuff)

I know that USB has +5v, D+, D-, GND...so we figured that +5 on the USB will go to the antenna supply, connect D+ with a capacitor to ground, then D- with a capacitor to 5v, and GND on USB to GND on the antenna.

I also scanned the instruction sheet for the antenna if it has any other useful information. Thank you very much!

You can't.

This antenna is only an active antenna. (power supply needed for the active part).

You WILL need a receiver in order to use it. Most current receivers are based on the Sirfstar II chipset, like e.g. the BU-303. Older ones are based on e.g. Rockwell chipsets.
    This receiver converts the (1.3Ghz if i'm right) signal into a RS232 compatible signal. (With a MAX232 or something simular to make the levels PC-serial compatible).

Additional, a USB->Serial convertor might be included, mostly based on the Profilic chipset. Usefull for pc's without serial

Anyway: get a GPS receiver. I have a BU-303 and replaced its internal antenna with an external (waterproof) one, just like the one you have. But without additional electronics, its useless.
    My Opel Astra 1993 CarPC: http://www.djsmiley.com/projects/carpc/photos/

Comment

im only it were that simple, then GPS would only cost $20!

Comment

DJSmiley is right. From what you are saying, you only have an antenna. You still need a reciever to convert all the data from whats coming off of the antenna.
        2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
        7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
        80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Where can I go abouts and buy this receiver?

Comment

depends on which one you want, garmin, ublox, trimble the list goes on.
            肚子笑痛了
            S60 Install

Comment

RF solutions do some nice OEM GPS modules for abotu 33.

But some require a bit of work to add serial or USB conenctions. I think RF solutions fo serial and USB ready one s that look quite good from their specs. Should be better than most USB mouse type GPS solutions,.

Or you can wait until jcdillin and I do the dead reckoning GPS system - that is gonna rock!

Comment

Well, this isn't really needed, just wanted as I have a laptop I don't really use so I thought it would be neat to hook up GPS to it. We also deal with GPS units at work, so I most likely can order one up and get it for a half decent price. I will look into it tomorrow.

Comment

DR all the way
                  肚子笑痛了
                  S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by jcdillin
                    DR all the way
                    hell yeah!!

you can build an oem type system with separate antenna for a about 33 (module) and 14 (antenna). That works out cheaper than a BU-303!!!

but quite frankly, DR is where it's at!

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                      hell yeah!!

you can build an oem type system with separate antenna for a about 33 (module) and 14 (antenna). That works out cheaper than a BU-303!!!

but quite frankly, DR is where it's at!
                      And how would I go about building this OEM type system? Any links to websites or anything? I can get the antenna no problem...

Comment

http://www.ublox.com

http://www.u-blox.com/products/sbr_ls.html
                        肚子笑痛了
                        S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by stewrockka2
                          And how would I go about building this OEM type system? Any links to websites or anything? I can get the antenna no problem...
                          have you ed?????

you can find some info on this forum (search for OEM modules)

if you re-read my previous post i did say you may need to make USB or serial interfaces (i prefer serial) or RF solutions may do a ready made unit for cheap.

i onyl started looking at GPS systems 2 days ago and I am already working on a dead reckoning system - it's not hard to learn. But you need to read. Start with the OEM GPS threads on here and then go look at some hardware on manufacturers sites. I can't be much help i am afraid as I am new to it and might advise you wrong. I am jumping strraight into the deep end as no one on here has done a DR system before. it has been discussed but not done. Even my avionics lecturers at work were amazed it could be done so easy when i asked them for advice.

Comment

Those are were we are looking but if you are not very confident with electronics and want soemthign cheap and easy then look for a system with the outputs on and the battery backup already one.

Comment

Working...
                            X