Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

winxp thinks my USB GPS receiver as mouse after cold boot (start up)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winxp thinks my USB GPS receiver as mouse after cold boot (start up)

before anyone flame me for not doing a search... I did search and found 2 relevent posts, but both of them are serial GPS receivers, not USB.

When my carputer boots up, it thinks the USB GPS receivers is a mouse then the mouse pointer goes crazy on the screen. I had to unplug it and replug it back it to fix it. It only happens when my carputer boots up with the USB receiver pluged in. Does anyone know what's going on?
    my carputer

If it's a BU303 or compatible, try using these drivers:

http://www.stevegoodman.plus.com/gps_usb_prolific.zip

Obviously virus-scan them first to be on the safe side/use at own risk but they have worked fine for me for 2 years
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

lol at the virus scan first ....have you had a recent virus scare Steve???

Comment

Originally posted by wei2cool
        When my carputer boots up, it thinks the USB GPS receivers is a mouse then the mouse pointer goes crazy on the screen. I had to unplug it and replug it back it to fix it. It only happens when my carputer boots up with the USB receiver pluged in. Does anyone know what's going on?
        I had this problem with my GPS connected via GPS. It was easily fixed by going into the Device Manager and disabling the mouse that said "Microsoft Ballpoint Mouse".

Comment

Originally posted by jcaesar625
          I had this problem with my GPS connected via GPS.
          Explain this sentence.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

try this out

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sermouse]
            "Start"=dword:00000004

there should be no blank between Servic and es!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ret
              REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sermouse]
              "Start"=dword:00000004

there should be no blank between Servic and es!!!!
              This is the fix. Could also search for "mouse jumping" to find relevant threads in the forum. It has been discussed before.
              7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
              ATVMS.com

Comment

put /noserialmouse in the boot.ini

Comment

Originally posted by sfay93
                  This is the fix. Could also search for "mouse jumping" to find relevant threads in the forum. It has been discussed before.
                  this fixed my problem. thanks sfay93
                  my carputer

Comment

I did the registry fix when I installed my USB GPS receiver and it worked perfectly. Now I added XM radio (XMD1000) through the serial port and the mouse has started to jump again. How do I fix it now?
                    Compaq Evo D510 e-PC - P4 2.0 - 512M RAM - 120G 3.5 HD - 7" Xenarc 700TSV - DSATX fitted nicely inside the PC case

Comment

If you want to fix it for good, search for sermouse.sys (in the windows dir) and rename it to something else (sermouse.sys.bak)
                      2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Originally posted by aoLhaTer
                        If you want to fix it for good, search for sermouse.sys (in the windows dir) and rename it to something else (sermouse.sys.bak)
                        Will I still be able to use the mouse? (USB mouse in the car and PS2 when I take it inside) - Thanks.
                        Compaq Evo D510 e-PC - P4 2.0 - 512M RAM - 120G 3.5 HD - 7" Xenarc 700TSV - DSATX fitted nicely inside the PC case

Comment

I did what aoLhaTer suggested and renamed the serial mouse driver file. No more jumping mouse (at least as far as I could tell) and everything works just fine. What is funny is that my carputer booted right up with no problems. Usually I have to push the restart button a few times to get it going....

Comment

sermouse.sys is the driver for..you guessed it, a serial mouse. USB and PS2 mice shouldnt be effected
                            2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Okay....It did not work...When I started the computer this morning the jumping mouse was back again. I checked the "semouse.sys" which I had renamed and it turned out that the XP had automatically reinstalled it for me! I guess there was no point renaming it again if XP was going to reinstall it.

So I went into the registery to check on the fix that I had applied before (see above post by ret). I noticed that fix had also been changed back to its original (last number had become 3 instead of 4). Probably it had happened when I removed the craputer to install the XM radio. So I again changed the last digit from 3 to 4.

It now seems to be working again as I rebooted and the jumping mouse was gone. We shall see if that fix will hold when I start the carputer on the way home tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X