Proven GPS receiver?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proven GPS receiver?

I don't see a FAQ or Sticky for GPS receivers... is there a proven model? Rikaline 6010 seems to sell for about $60 on eBay. Is this a decent receiver? I want to spend no more than $75.03
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

You know...I don't recall any posts recently where somebody said their GPS unit sucked. Some don't like Delorme, I guess. But I don't recall anything bad about the Rikaline.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

gps itself kicks *** if it works its awsome just the fact that u can type in a address in ur car and find out where the hell it is is amazing respect to GPS! haha

Comment

Never used the Rikaline. The BUB-303 is cheap and works really well.
        AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
        Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
        Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
        -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

my bu-303 died on me after working for maybe a month or two. i've also heard of it dying on other people (i think its the battery inside that craps out)

i would suggest the rikaline. been using it since october without any problems whatsoever.
          rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

Which exact Riakline model are you using?

Originally posted by fantomas
            my bu-303 died on me after working for maybe a month or two. i've also heard of it dying on other people (i think its the battery inside that craps out)

i would suggest the rikaline. been using it since october without any problems whatsoever.
            2002 Honda CR-V
            Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
            Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
            ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

BU303 is proven to work, (usually the ebay result on "gps mouse") but does cause occasional problems. Mine went rusty.
                Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Never had a problem with my R6010
                  ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                  Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                  All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                  Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

Comment

If you are interested, I have an extra one I can offer you. It has never been installed in the box. PM me.
                    2005 Black Chevy Impala
                    Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%

Comment

Here again the BU-303. I'm only using for a month, but I haven't had any problems yet.
                      Stage 1:[||||||||||||||||||||] 100%

Epia M10000, Lilliput 7' TS (modded), Teac DV28-SL, Globalsat BU-303, Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm, 512 MB pc3200, M1-ATX, Kenwood KDC-W6527SE

Comment

I got a Rikaline 6010 that just died on me. The PC detects it, iGuidance detects it but it can't find any satellites.. It was perfect for about 4 months though.

Comment

Rayming TN-200

I've been using the TN-200 for about a month now. Every once in a while I have issues "finding" sat's... but my install is inside the car. It's got a mag in it, so once I get off my a$$ and tuck the USB cable along with my car antenae, I should have better reception.

I only paid $110 for it... it would have been cheeper if I bought it with iGuidance :\
                          Car: 1997 VW Passat TDI moving to
                          1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D
                          CPU: HP ePC 1gig/256meg/250 gig
                          Xenarc & GPS & RadioShark
                          ToGo: DC-to-DC conversion, Grease conversion

Comment

Honestly i love my Holux Gm-210.. it connects really fast and has great signal. They have a newer version that is much smaller. Search ebay..
                            -Jack
                            2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
                            Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

Comment

I love my DeLorme EarthMate USB. It's $99, but it's USB (and comes with mapping software). It works with DeLorme software with no drivers, but to use it with anything else you just install a small driver that makes it appear as a new COM port.

It has worked great for over a year (though I did have to move it to the daah up front after I tinted my hatch-back window or it would take forever to connect).

Comment

Working...
                              X