Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS device diagnostic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GPS device diagnostic

    I got my Rayming MR-350 yesterday. It has USB-to-serial adapter and looks like a COM port to XP. Now, the problem is, the device doesn't seem to work properly - it is not detected by enclosed software (GPSInfo) and when I connect to that COM port on 4800 baud, there is a lot of seemingly random binary garbage coming from it

    Is there some software that can check and properly setup a GPS device?
    Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

  • #2
    You installed a driver with the USB-serial adaptor, right? Right click "My computer", select properties and go to device manager. Look at the COM ports. Your USB-serial adaptor ought to show up there and you should be able to see what com port it is on. (Sorry, rereading your post it looks like you may have done that but I'm not sure so I'll leave the instructions in).

    Beyond that, XBrady's earlier version of GPSsecure had a little window that you could see the NMEA strings streaming by and it shows the satellite locks. Maybe PM him for a version 1.0 of it.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bugbyte
      You installed a driver with the USB-serial adaptor, right? Right click "My computer", select properties and go to device manager. Look at the COM ports. Your USB-serial adaptor ought to show up there and you should be able to see what com port it is on. (Sorry, rereading your post it looks like you may have done that but I'm not sure so I'll leave the instructions in).

      Beyond that, XBrady's earlier version of GPSsecure had a little window that you could see the NMEA strings streaming by and it shows the satellite locks. Maybe PM him for a version 1.0 of it.
      I found it - the thing was sending data in SiRF binary format at 38400 baud rate. Still does SiRFDemo did a good job detecting the protocol, but cannot switch it to NMEA.
      Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

      Comment


      • #4
        Hmm, I read your other post where you mentioned MS Streets & Trips. S&T will have hard time with 38400 baud rate. Try GPS Gate GPS Gate might just be able to read the signal coming from your receiver, and it may output signal understandable by your S&T.

        It will not cost you anything to try, and it may just work. If it does, the added benefit of GPS Gate is that you will be able to use even several GPS software applications with your one receiver.

        MR-350 is advertised as supporting NMEA. I'm not sure why it would be outputting SiRF. I'm assuming you do have the correct cable and driver software installed. You mentioned you couldn't switch from SiRF to NMEA in SiRFdemo. If just clicking on "Switch to NMEA protocol" doesn't work, I would try clicking on "Synchronize protocol & baud rate".

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac
          Hmm, I read your other post where you mentioned MS Streets & Trips. S&T will have hard time with 38400 baud rate. Try GPS Gate http://franson.com/gpsgate/ GPS Gate might just be able to read the signal coming from your receiver, and it may output signal understandable by your S&T.

          It will not cost you anything to try, and it may just work. If it does, the added benefit of GPS Gate is that you will be able to use even several GPS software applications with your one receiver.
          Yes, it looks like a very nice piece of software I didn't find however any mentioning of the SiRF binary support.

          Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac
          MR-350 is advertised as supporting NMEA. I'm not sure why it would be outputting SiRF. I'm assuming you do have the correct cable and driver software installed. You mentioned you couldn't switch from SiRF to NMEA in SiRFdemo. If just clicking on "Switch to NMEA protocol" doesn't work, I would try clicking on "Synchronize protocol & baud rate".
          "Switch to NMEA" has no effect and "Synchronize" syncs back to 38400 / SiRF binary It appears to me that none of the SiRFDemo commands are passed to this receiver, even those in "Poll" menu add nothing to received messages.
          Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

          Comment


          • #6
            Earlier I read that the 350 needed some special cable. Do you have that?

            Comment


            • #7
              .

              I know nothing about the GPS chip your using but I know that some have firmware updates that you can apply.. It's possible that that may solve some of your issues...
              Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
              Via EPIA MII
              512MB RAM
              OEM GPS (embedded)
              nLite WinXP pro on
              1GB Extreme III CF card
              Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
              Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac
                Earlier I read that the 350 needed some special cable. Do you have that?
                Sure I do, it's PS/2-like (no clue what's the right name for it) to USB pigtail adapter.
                Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by IntellaWorks
                  I know nothing about the GPS chip your using but I know that some have firmware updates that you can apply.. It's possible that that may solve some of your issues...
                  It has SiRF Star III chip, it's new and I haven't seen any updates for it yet
                  Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    .

                    GRRR man, that sucks. Have you tried any other GPS diag software ??
                    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                    Via EPIA MII
                    512MB RAM
                    OEM GPS (embedded)
                    nLite WinXP pro on
                    1GB Extreme III CF card
                    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by IntellaWorks
                      GRRR man, that sucks. Have you tried any other GPS diag software ??
                      GPSInfo (tells that my device is outputting SiRF binary, tries to switch to NMEA with no visible success), SiRFDemo (above), terminal for raw connection (dumps a lot of binary on screen) and port monitoring tools (same effect). If you know any other software, please, do tell.

                      Edit: Still, even with glitches, it's a very nice device. What do you think?
                      Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        .

                        That is pretty slick.
                        Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                        Via EPIA MII
                        512MB RAM
                        OEM GPS (embedded)
                        nLite WinXP pro on
                        1GB Extreme III CF card
                        Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                        Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Why don't you send a quick e-mail to the manufacturer or the distributor...

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X