PS2 to USB Adaptor for GPS Mouse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS2 to USB Adaptor for GPS Mouse?

Did lots of serching and googling today, but unfortunately did not find much .
    I have a TP-051 gps mouse. It has PS2 male connector. Now I read that in order to make it work on the laptop, I need to connect it through USB or serial port, because PS2 does not supply power as needed. Unfortunately I was not able to find USB adaptor for my model on sale anywhere. Are these adpators universal and one from any company will work, like this one?...

Damn can't find it now, but I think it was one by Garmin. I guess a regular adaptor like they use for keyboard, as in picture below won't work...

Thanks!

picture taken from ebay...

Here is one I am talking about, which is produced by same manufacturer, but nowhere to be found for sale.

Their website: http://www.techwayinc.com.tw/index.html

Comment

Um, a PS2 connector does supply power!
      Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Hm, then maybe my testing software was not setup properly, I'll test it again, but I would prefer to run it through USB!

Comment

The pdf says it has a 'female' PS2 connector while clearly showing a male connector!!
          Laidback

Comment

Wait a second, LED is active now, it never was when i connected through PS2 before. Let's play with testing software now...

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
              The pdf says it has a 'female' PS2 connector while clearly showing a male connector!!
              Yep, I noticed that too

Comment

Originally posted by Ladzio
                Hm, then maybe my testing software was not setup properly, I'll test it again, but I would prefer to run it through USB!
                If the testing software is looking for a com port then you need a converter.
                Laidback

Comment

Sounds like you are missing part of the cable. My serial GPS adapter terminates with a PS/2 connector but it requires an adapter supplied by the GPS manufacturer to convert it to serial.

Comment

Ladzio,
                    Looks like you're a cable missing you need a PS-2/Serial splitter or PS/2 to USB adapter
                    http://mcsx.co.uk/shop/usb-to-ps-2-adapter.htm

PS-2 will give you power, but I haven't seen it used a serial port.

Comment

Those won't work ... it is a special cable, the PS/2 connector is simply a connector, nothing to do with PS/2 Ports.

You need a specific cable from the manufacturer to convert to a USB connector.

Comment

Here I found it. This is a Deluo brand. Their gps mouse looks just like TP-051. I wonder if i should give a shot and try it...

http://www.deluoelectronics.com/cata...ptop-p-12.html

On a second note, looks like thir GPS mouse has a female connector and adaptor cable male connector... WTF...

Comment

My hard search payed off. Found cable for sale, but it is in New Zealand. I am kinda hesitant to buy from so far away, and shipping will be probably a killer..

http://www.itx.co.nz/product_info.ph...roducts_id=204

Comment

Nah, played with mouse, still no luck - no connection. User manual says that signal goes through COM port. So I can either find a serial cable adapter or a USB, which creates fake COM port. I think I'll be selling this mouse and will get another off eBay, like Rikaline or something.

Thanks everyone for input!

Comment

It is not PS/2. You can not use any adapter that says it is for PS/2. Heck, you can't even plug a PS/2 keboard into a normal PS/2 mouse port or visa-versa, much less a GPS. I don't know why people insist on calling them a "USB Mouse" when it just adds confusion. It has nothing to do with a mouse.

Anyway, you need the cable from the manufacturer or a pin-out of the GPS's 4-pin mini-circular-din connector (AKA: PS/2 connector). It can be mapped to either a 4-pin USB port or a RX/TX/GND/(5V?) on a 9-pin Serial port. It have broken by now if you have been pluging it in to cables, adapters, and ports that it was not made for.

Comment

Working...
                              X