Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob Question: Can you use different mapping software with a DeLorme GPS unit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Question: Can you use different mapping software with a DeLorme GPS unit?

A buddy just gave me the deLorme GPS unit, but didn't give me the software. I was wondering if the unit was compatible with different GPS software, and if so, what should I be looking for.

yes, you can use any software as long as you download the usb-to-serial driver from delorme.
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by tj!2k4
      yes, you can use any software as long as you download the usb-to-serial driver from delorme.

I thought it depended on which version of receiver you have, since the older ones use Rockwell instead of NMEA.

So, you would have to check what version/what the GPS is outputing language wise, and then we could tell you. If it is outputing NMEA, you are good to go with almost any SW. If it is Rockwell, you could get this and then use any SW.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Thanks all for the quick post backs. I seem to have the Earthmate USB version. So that Serial to USB driver is not compatible according to Delorme. When I plug in the device my XP SP2 machince does not detect it. Any ideas.

Comment

Working...
        X