GPS Sensitivity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Sensitivity

im trying to find a gps reciever thats better than the one i alraedy have.

[Receiver]

- Frequency: L1, 1575.42MHz
    - C/A code: 1.023MHz chip rate
    - Channels: 12
    - Sensitivity: -170dBW

is sensitivity better if its a higher or lower number?

i have an igps at the moment from linitx, but it doesnt like my windscreen (2 other gps recievers ive used worked fine behind windscreen).

Hi Jaz,

The most common chip in today’s GPS receivers used for car navigation is the SiRFstarIIe/LP. The tracking sensitivity of the units containing that chip is usually quoted as -172dBW (or sometimes -142dBm).

The best what you can buy these days is a GPS receiver unit containing the newest SiRFstarIII chip which has a tracking sensitivity of -189dBW (or -159dBm).

The tracking sensitivity number is not the only indicator of how a GPS unit performs. SiRFstarIII chip is capable of performing a much grater number of calculations per second than its predecessors.

Comment

do they come cheap? to be honest im lookin aroudn the 40-50 quid mark really.

Comment

If I had to buy something in the $40 - $50 price range today I'd go with one of these: , but you seem to already have at least one GPS unit at this moment, so perhaps you could use what you already have.

Comment

i think im going to buy one of these....
          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...789835719&rd=1

the on i have just doesnt work properly at all!

thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X