Garmin GPS reciver qustion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin GPS reciver qustion

Hi i just bought a garmin gps reciver and im wondering will it work with programs like d3 or iguidace? here is the info on this item

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18oem/spec.html

if those 2 programs will not work please specify which will.

Originally posted by Kiriller
    Hi i just bought a garmin gps reciver and im wondering will it work with programs like d3 or iguidace? here is the info on this item

PLEASE search the forum for your answer. This has been discussed before.

Michael

See Frodo, I can be nice also.
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriller

Yes it will work with both......
      RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
      We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

i dont think it will, just did some more research, apperatly the usb one which i have dosnt work, only the serial one does.

is that true ? because on the website it says they are the same... :\

Comment

Usb is even better cause then you don't have to be worry about port emulators.....
          plus if worst come to worst just get a usb>serial adapter

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=oem+gps

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=oem+gps

Edit:

And I bet that that USB interface is just like the one that we see in USB mouse...

And from the site that you posted:

18 USB: 2.0 Full Speed (also compatible with USB 1.1 Full Speed hosts)
          18 PC & LVC: Asynchronous serial input compatible with RS-232 or TTL voltage levels, RS-232 polarity

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Comment

Kiriller, when you follow the link you provided, in the specifications it states: 18 USB: Garmin USB format. I'm afraid that may be a potential problem at least for iGuidance. I'm not familiar with Destinator, so I cannot comment on that one, but vast majority of navigation software products require NMEA standard, rather than the Garmin proprietary protocol. In some situations there may be a workaround solution, like for example you may use the newest version of GPS Gate utility software between your Garmin USB GPS receiver and your navigation software. But the problem with iGuidance in this case would be that iGuidance requires GSV sentence which GPS Gate will not provide in this configuration. Some software (for example Microsoft Streets & Trips) will be usable in this configuration (Garmin USB GPS receiver + GPS Gate).

You are correct, the other (non-USB) version would work, because it outputs NMEA.

Comment

i live in richmond hill not far from you im guessing, could you tell me where you bought ur gps receiver? and are you femilliar with any program that will work with this kind of garmin, oh and i will try the gps gate and see what happens.

Comment

Kiriller, that's a coincidence, because next week on Friday, on the 29th, we are moving to Richmond Hill (Yonge & Elgin Mills ;-)

At this moment I only know MS Streets & Trips works in the above mentioned configuration, because S&T doesn't require GSV sentence to work. But this new GPS Gate version, which supports (somewhat) some Garmin USB GPS receivers, has been released not that long ago, and perhaps the developer will overcome this shortcoming.

I currently use GPSlim236 by Holux, which I received from .

Comment

[QUOTE]The GPS 18 is offered in three different cable configurations: A-style USB, DB-9 pin serial with 12-volt cigarette lighter adapter (PC), or bare wire (LVC). The PC and LVC versions both default to output data in the industry standard NMEA 0183 data format[QUOTE]

http://www.tvnav.com/oem18.htm

Just send it back and ask for the serial one...

or get one of the garmins form the thread that I posted early.

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Comment

Yes, Kiriller should avoid the USB version of the product.

Comment

Is it worth exchanging? i have it on my laptop and its pretty good, plus i just got gps gate which in my newbie words converts the signal to com4 port (virtual port)

Comment

so there you go...... if you see a com port # you ready to go.....

good luck

thanatos

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Comment

just a small question about ig, it wroks i see time going etc in NMEA stuff changing like $gpvtg,g532 oh i cant even read that... latitude and longitude stays in one place but i see no satellites on the radar :\ why is that?
                          if this helps the time is correct under local time

Comment

is there a console or somesort of thing that i can see what the program is curretly doing? because i can not see what it is doing eg. searching for satellites?

Comment

Working...
                            X