Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty Unit

Hi,

I have a Rikaline 6010 receiver that I bought off ebay quite a while ago. I never tested it when I got it and now I finally have my PC in my car it doesn't seem to get any satellites. The light on the unit comes on, the pc knows its there, i've selected the port properly but nothing. I've run GPS diag amongst many other things i've tried, still nothing.

Anyone have any other ideas please?

Thanks,
    Dave

Test it on another computer. Borrow a laptop if you have to. then report back with your findings!
    2002 Honda CR-V
    Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
    Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
    ...or even Listen to my music

Comment

Does the light blink or is it solid? If it's solid, you have no signal.

Leave it plugged in for a while with a clear view of the sky...for some reason, mine didn't work at first. I thought, "what a piece of crap"...I left it on the porch one night and woke up the next morning to find it working...
      CarPC #3: 99% Complete
      Pentium M 1.7Ghz, 1GB DDR2 RAM
      DVD/CD-RW installed in dash below monitor
      OEM LCD relocated for 7" Touchscreen
      Wi-Fi, GPS, PS2 controllers...
      500+ full albums
      4,000+ video games
      music videos, movies, & more!
      old carPC

Comment

solid light only. I'll leave it overnight and see what happens i guess

Comment

give it a try...my buddy did the same thing and it ended up coming alive. beats me...let me know how it turns out
          500+ full albums
          4,000+ video games
          old carPC

Comment

been out for a week now on a different pc. Still solid green light, no flashing. Time to get the credit card out, again..

Comment

Do you have a USB extension on it?

Do you have a clear view of the sky 360 degrees around the receiver? No trees or buildings in the way, power lines or anything else?
              500+ full albums
              4,000+ video games
              old carPC

Comment

no usb extension, windows can't recognise the device if i do. Was positioned with pretty good line of sight for 96 hrs and nothing

Comment

hmmm...might want to try to pop it open and replace the battery

I've seen other threads about this; however, when I popped mine open the first day, I didn't find a battery...SEARCH

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver...this could very well be the problem
                  500+ full albums
                  4,000+ video games
                  old carPC

Comment

also, make sure it is set to 4800 baud...it wont work at any other speed
                    500+ full albums
                    4,000+ video games
                    old carPC

Comment

yep, set to 4800. what do you have the port set up through windows? i plug the thing in. windows installs it and says its working. i've changed the speed on windows settings to 4800, aswell as trying it at the speed windows configures it at automatically. just a solid green light. freedrive can't find gps. gpsdiag doesn't get any readings.

Comment

what COM port are you selecting in these apps?

usually they default to COM1, but the GPS receiver generally installs to COM3 or COM5 or something higher up like that. Some GPS software offers the option of "USB" as the COM port selection, but that's not intended for GPS receivers that use COM port emulation (most of the typical GPS mouse ones seem to), so unless you know for sure your receiver is supposed to use that, don't.

Open up hyperterminal, set it to 4800 8-N-1, and try the available COM ports. Even if you're not getting a signal, you should be getting some data from the GPS unit in hyperterminal... at least that will tell you if the computer can at least communicate with the device.
                        But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                        Originally posted by Viscouse
                        I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                        eegeek.net

Comment

Where is your reciever mounted? When I placed mine INSIDE the car..I got nothing. Once it was outside..I got signal. Note: some tints can cause the gps to not work.
                          Another issue you may be having is power. If you do not have enough juice from your PSU, things will malfunction. I learned the hard way.
                          My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

Originally posted by DK888
                            Where is your reciever mounted? When I placed mine INSIDE the car..I got nothing. Once it was outside..I got signal. Note: some tints can cause the gps to not work.
                            Another issue you may be having is power. If you do not have enough juice from your PSU, things with malfunction. I learned the hard way.
                            rmember i told u? Cool that you could solve it though. Let me know how everything went. DK> Call me. Did you order the stuff already?

Comment

Thanks BND..got your number already. Haven't ordered anything. Really tight on the pockets..I'll keep you in mind tho.
                              My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

Working...
                              X