Bluetooth or USB GPS receiver?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth or USB GPS receiver?

I'm looking to get a GPS receiver, but I'm torn between getting a BT one or an USB one. It seems like the USB ones are much cheaper, while they do the same thing. The benefit of BT would be wireless and can easily be used for other devices (PDA's etc) too.

Is there any other benefits of having a BT one that I'm missing.

I'm basically looking at the BU-303 for USB or the GR-236 for BT. This GPS will only be used for my carputer, nothing else. So what would you guys recommend?

Please help. Thanks!

well i just bought a holux gr-211, which is a really small usb gps mouse. i decided against BT cuz you gotta keep the battery charged all the time and its just another frequency that could be interfered with. the wired take more time to install obviously if u want to make it look clean, but the longterm ease of not having to charge it all the time is better IMO.
    Steve Davis
    www.CraniumDesigns.com

Comment

The simpler it is, the fewer things can go wrong with it, so I'd recommend a plain simple GPS mouse.

Having said that, I do currently use the 236. It is connected to the USB of my PC. It does behave as a "normal" mouse, meaning when I start the pc, the 236 wakes up (no need to turn its power button on), and when the computer is turned off, even the "mouse" looses its power and goes off. Very infrequently I remove the 236 from my setup, and I am able to use it for walking, for example, with my PDA Phone via its Bluetooth connection.

Comment

BlueTooth seems like an overcomplication for GPS mouse
        Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
        Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
        I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
        Please help.

Comment

I have the BT-338 for my PDA.. A bit of a different setup, but 17 hours of operation time from the battery...... I haven't charged it in 2 weeks, still going strong.

Why is BT over complicating the matter, I can take it from car to car, and i'm not locked to one setup.. Turns its self off after 10 mins of no BT signal..

Comment

You still have to charge it after a while..
            Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
            Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
            Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

My Corolla Computer

Comment

Originally posted by F6 UTE
              I have the BT-338 for my PDA.. A bit of a different setup, but 17 hours of operation time from the battery...... I haven't charged it in 2 weeks, still going strong.

Why is BT over complicating the matter, I can take it from car to car, and i'm not locked to one setup.. Turns its self off after 10 mins of no BT signal..
              Because for a device that is constantly on, you will constantly need to keep it charged. For most people, GPS mice sit in one place all the time and never move. For some, they are moved once in a blue moon. It just seems more logical to me to have a device such as this usb and keep the blue tooth for something where it might be more appropriate, like a cell phone or something.
              Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
              Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
              I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
              Please help.

Comment

the only thing I don't like about my BT gps is that it wont survive a suspend/hibernate without having the softwre reconnect, but i hear that is a problem with other gps devices as well. I also have to figure out how to wire it to constant power, but with some protection so it wont drain my car battery if i forget to turn it off if i am out of town for a couple weeks.

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

Fair points, but ummm, who needs their GPS switched on every time they drive, the whole time they drive?? I do about 60k's a year, and I use it once to get to a new place, maybe once a day, then if I have to go to the place again, I remember how I got their before?? Even if the thing goes flat, I would just plug it in and keep it on power, in the car and carry on my journey....

Z-Pilot, mine shuts off after 10 mins without a BT signal, and constant power isn't a problem if you want to hard wire it, or just plug it in with the supplied 12V adapter.

Comment

gps is just cool if you got no videos to watch. i dont move mine around to other cars. so wired works for me.
                    Steve Davis
                    www.CraniumDesigns.com

Comment

I install my USB GPS deeppppp inside the dashboard next to the firewall.
                      When was the last time I remove it? Never.
                      Well, how often you are going to use GPS on your PDA? If you are going to use it like couple times a month then get the BT.
                      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Marvin Hlavac - Poss may look at one of those 236's - Do you get the USB cable with it ? Can you place an external areial on it ?

The reason for this is I because I am thinking of been able to leave the external one on place in the car and been able to take the unit out when needed

Thanks

Terran
                        My Project Site

Comment

we have a bluetooth that we use for the laptops and pda.

it is, the biggest pain in the *** to use in the car. ever.

i will be purchasing a usb soon.
                          1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
                          Pictures
                          Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by ccsnet
                            Marvin Hlavac - Poss may look at one of those 236's - Do you get the USB cable with it ? Can you place an external areial on it ?

The reason for this is I because I am thinking of been able to leave the external one on place in the car and been able to take the unit out when needed

Thanks

Terran

Sorry for the delay in answering ;-) (We have just moved to a new house and there was verry little time to go on the Internet.)

1. The USB cable that comes in the package is only good for charging the unit via USB (if that's what you want). To actually use the 236 as a GPS mouse, one needs to order the optional USB cable, which I believe is $19.95.

2. Yes, it does have external antenna connector. The optional external antenna is also if I recall correctly around $19. I use the external antenna as well.

I'd recommend ordering the 236, the optional USB cable, and the external antenna all at the same time from one source, to make sure you get the correct items ;-)

Comment

Working...
                            X