Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Stock GPS with 3d buildings! Holy Crap!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Stock GPS with 3d buildings! Holy Crap!

A friend showed me this-Just some of the HD based Navigation units available in Japan for the Japansese Subaru Forester/Impreza

Damn! That's just about the sickest GPS systems I've ever seen. In Japan they've already got major cities with photorealistic 3d buildings, and in the us we think 3d nav on flat terrain is the coolest thing ever! ha!. Yeah I know Google is working on 3d mapping of Major US cities already (Like Chicago and NYC) and they'll soon have images on those buildings, but wow people in Japan already have mature stock GPS systems with it. Wow.

p.s. you can see them all here

Already been posted here 3 or 4 times, it is sweet as hell though.
    1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

******* impressive.
      iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
      CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

almost like a video game. wow. wonder when the US will have something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by fventura03
          almost like a video game. wow. wonder when the US will have something like that.
          I really don't think that the US will allow something like this. It distracts drivers too much. It is sweet as hell though.

Peace,

Rafster
          Post # 3000

Comment

that is so sick, but current navigation systems have a hard enough time keeping up with road changes... how practical can this be?
            MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Money for this thing is going to be up the *** when it comes out in US. This will be in my price range is 8years.

Comment

On a second look, this thing is more flashy than usuable. It's mainly for show.

What's the point of a Nav system if you can't see 2, 3 streets ahead because some stupid buildings are blocking the view? I know you can zoom in and out or skip ahead or look at the mini-map but that's beyond the point.
                iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

mapping the japan / hong kong with 3d building and scenery is alot easier to do than the entire United States.
                  [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

Comment

Originally posted by nadir_s
                    mapping the japan / hong kong with 3d building and scenery is alot easier to do than the entire United States.
                    That's why you just do the core of major cities. I think that is when you need to be able to make quick glances at the screen for buildings/landmarks etc is when it comes in handy...

As for a safety thing, it can't be anymore distracting than slowing down and searching for an address or street sign and not paying attention to the road...

Comment

Originally posted by sebberry
                      That's why you just do the core of major cities. I think that is when you need to be able to make quick glances at the screen for buildings/landmarks etc is when it comes in handy...

As for a safety thing, it can't be anymore distracting than slowing down and searching for an address or street sign and not paying attention to the road...
                      Google Earth already does this. Put it on a CarPC with a decent 'net connection (or perhaps a CD of Google's maps/sat images) and it can easily pull off the same tricks that that Japanese thingie (that's reposted far too many times, I might add).

THERE'S a goal.
                      Attached Files
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

sorry didn't realize it was posted before. google earth doesn't have the nifty skins yet though-although i know they're working on getting most of them.

Comment

Imagine this shot is in the GPS map.
                          The image is somewhere in HongKong on my way from Kowloon to Hongkong International Airport on the top of a double decker bus. It was taken while the bus crosing a hanging bridge.
                          How the hell can you see a nex street on the GPS screen unless the software draw the building with "see thru" feature
                          Attached Files
                          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                            Imagine this shot is in the GPS map.
                            The image is somewhere in HongKong on my way from Kowloon to Hongkong International Airport on the top of a double decker bus. It was taken while the bus crosing a hanging bridge.
                            How the hell can you see a nex street on the GPS screen unless the software draw the building with "see thru" feature
                            If you're looking for the next street off the side of the bridge then you need MapPoint!!
                            Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

I think too animated = too distracting.... I mean even the newer 3D maps look cool, but nothing beats the funtionality of zooming out to a further view to see the terain & roads & hwys around you.... get a quick visual of where I am in relation to where I'm going.... what the hell do I want to see a display of what I can see thru my windshield.... maybe cute but not as helpful as a standard map display I think...
                              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                              X