delorme 2006...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delorme 2006...

anyone using delorme 2006? Just want to know if the updated maps are really updated before I spend $50 on outdated maps like 2003, 2004, 2005
    The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
    CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
    PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
    Memory:1G
    Drives:160gig
    WI-FI:Cingular
    GPS:IG2k9
    Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
    The Florida Meets Thread

honestly, i'd spend $100 for iGuidance. Have you tried it?

Comment

iguidance? no. I have seen threads about it being the overall best. Just me and my friend are thinking of updating, we both have delorme and I am looking for something better than delorme. Just like to know if their maps are current and not 2 to 4 years old like sa2005.
      The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Originally posted by john1701
        iguidance? no. I have seen threads about it being the overall best. Just me and my friend are thinking of updating, we both have delorme and I am looking for something better than delorme. Just like to know if their maps are current and not 2 to 4 years old like sa2005.
        iGuidance is pretty up to date... I haven't found any streets that are not on there... I believe NavTeck updates faster b/c they are the database Goggle maps uses, so i'm guessing, a lot f dough goes into it...

Comment

In my experience, the navigation software products that I have tried all have maps that are approximately 2 to 3 years behind printed maps. So if you just moved in to a brand new house built on a new street, then you will unlikely find your new subdivision on the map of any navigation solution next year and very likely not even the year after that.

It unfortunately is not possible to just take the same data used for printed maps and use it for creating navigation product. While a printed map may show you a street name, street number on some corners, and perhaps it may even indicate a direction of a one way street, but navigable maps provide a much more accurate representation of the detailed road network including over 160 attributes like turn restrictions, one-way streets, speed limit, etc.

There is a very interesting 3 page long article describing the process of collecting map data for navigable maps posted at

I used to be upset about this 2 to 3 year lag time, but Iíve learned to live with that. For most of us in most situations it is just fine. (I know people who keep 10 or 15 year old map books in their cars ;-)

Comment

thanks guys. What I mean by updated maps, I am comparing to google maps not paper maps. There is a road nearby that was extended a few miles only 6 months ago and google maps already has it.

delorme 2005 has roads very inaccurate, roads that dont exsist, and yes delorme has got me lost. Sux asking directions when you have a GPS in your car.

How accurate are the maps in iguidance?
            The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

If Google Maps already has the 6 month new street I would consider that a very rare occurrence, not the norm ;-)

IGuidance uses map data by NavTeq Corp., that's as good as you can get these days ;-)

Comment

ditto. iguidance is as good as maps get as of now. in my experience it's been 95% accurate %100 of the time. What I mean by that is no map db for any gps software is perfect, and iguidance is no exception, but using iguidance I've never gotten lost and not found my way again thanks to iguidance.

and john if you give us the street name/city that you find incorrect in delorme maybe one of us can check it in iguidance before you decide on it.

Comment

ok the road with the red X is what I had to do to fix delorme. Use the LAT and LNG to check it out. This is just a few, got alot of them. But these are the ones that HAVE BEEN THERE ON SA2003, SA2004, AND SA2005.

1. Road has NEVER BEEN THERE.

2. Delorme says you can make turns on/off this road even though its a dead end.

3. There is NO EXIT, ON/OFF Ramps either.

4. Make a route North/south on 41 and delorme tells you that you have to make turns here. ITS A PARKING LOT!
                  The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

go iguidance. one reason. NAVTEQ is what google uses, and iGuidance uses NAVTEQ too. So i believe they'll update that faster, since Google is giving tons of money into it's Maping accuracy, and gps soft (google earth) and sort of things. I'm definitly staying with iGuidance. I had only one bad experience. Sometimes if you have a couple of turns within a really short amount of distance, it'll lag a bit, but that is abslutely computer related. Id lagged on the Laptop i'm selling (P133) but it didn't lag on my 2.8GHz P4 laptop. So it's basicly nothing.

If i were to buy a GPS software now, i'd go iGuidance hands down...

my $0.02

Comment

Go with IG and MS S&T for backup/comparision.
                      2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                      89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                      Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                      RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                      EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

a quick check on google maps shows that the navteq maps they're using now doesn't have any of the quirks that you have in delorme. I'll check them in iguidance when I get home. I've had the problem with the road/shortcut on the highway that doesn't exist on a highway before in iguidance, but that was easily ignored. The thing with the deadend I had a problem with mapquest online before, but not with ig. The parking lot thing isn't that big of a deal but google maps doens't show that problem. I'll check back later.

p.s. I do what MatrixPC does and it's very handy to have Iguidance for navigation and MS S&T side by side open at the same time when driving so that I can browse the area in S&T (while I'm parked of course) to have a better idea of where I'm going. S&T is just a more complete map anyway.

Comment

Yes, S&T is an excellent trip planner (as you said, it's good to use it while parked), and iGuidance is excellent while driving. They both complement each other very much. I would not leave home without either of them ;-)

I would compare iGuidance and S&T to using image editing software and page layout software ;-) Page layout software does have some image editing functions, and vice versa (you could do some layout work with an image editor, too). But you will do a much better job using appropriate software for the task at hand ;-)

(I'd better stop now. I think I'm just confusing everyone ;-)

Comment

Between Destinator, Street Atlas and iGuidance, which has the most (and updated) POIs? This is for the US.
                            iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                            CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Im not worried about POIs, just would like when the gps says turn left on a street, the street should be there.
                              The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X