Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice: Holux GR-213 vs Globalsat BU-353/BR-355

Anyone recommend which one I should get? Best prices so far:

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_i...roducts_id=424 ($83 shipped)
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B000AQEZ6Y ($81 shipped)

Any recommendations are much appreciated!

this seems to be a discussion all over the forums... check out the other posts, let me know what you find!
    [4Runna]

next - wifi

Comment

I have the Globalsat BU-353 and I love it. I never have below 8-9 satellites and always have an accurate position in iGuidance. It's really small and has a magnetic base (supposedly waterproof but I don't plan on taking any chances by testing it out). I have mine stuck to my passenger seatbelt, so it doesn't slide around on my dash.

Comment

I just wish someone/some site/some distributor would do a proper subjective test of both of them side by side on the same system.

Comment

or some one with good rep just say something
          [4Runna]

next - wifi

Comment

My guess would be that both are pretty much the same in performance, since they both have the same SiRFstarIII chipset inside. But if I had to buy one today, I would make sure the one I order already comes with the latest firmware version 3.1.1 (which fixes occasional prolonged time to acquire satellite fix).

Comment

I ended up buying the Holux GR-213 because it was shipping with firmware 3.1.1 and Globalsat BU-353/BR-355 was not (but was supposed to start as of late sept)

Comment

Excellent! Make sure you share your first impressions with us when it arrives!

Comment

how about upgrading firmware? is that not an option?
                  [4Runna]

next - wifi

Comment

It doesn't seem to be an option at this time if you wish to do it your self. For some SiRFstarIII units some manufacturers offer to do it for you if you don't mind shipping it and wait till it comes back in mail.

Comment

Works great....both 353's and the 355's. Check my post:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...t=53270&page=5
                      My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

Works great! Tracks 6-8 satelites from my living room (with a concrete roof blocking line of sight).

User upgrade of firmware apparently is not an option so that is why I specifically looked for 3.1.1 to avoid the "jetlag" problem (all the GR-213's seemed to have the newer firmware but the BU-353ss did not for some reason when I was looking in the US about a week ago). An email reply from Holux in Taiwan suggessted that an improper firmware upgrade could fry the unit-- not sure if they are being overly dramatic. And dealers seem to be offering "free" upgrades on the more expensive bluetooth units not the wired serial/ubs versions...

One potenital issue is the WAAS/ENOS is not enabled by default, but this seems to be problem with all SiRF star III ... hopefully franson gpsgate can support an intialization string.

http://www.franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1512

Originally posted by jwithana
                        I ended up buying the Holux GR-213 because it was shipping with firmware 3.1.1 and Globalsat BU-353/BR-355 was not (but was supposed to start as of late sept)

Comment

crap i didn't know about this firmware junk before I ordered my BU-353.. the only issue is an occasional prolonged time to get sat's right? I how long are we talking? and how often?

Thanks!

Comment

I cant recall exactly what the issue was but I believe it was sporadic, especially if you changed countries.

Did u check the firmware with sirfdemo? I recommend you file a request for a firmware upgrade at http://www.usglobalsat.com/support/custadminlogin.asp and see what happens.

Comment

should be coming by UPS today, so I'll be sure to do that when I get a chance, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X