What can compare to my Acura navi???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can compare to my Acura navi???

With my Acura navi software, I can search for any business. If I'm looking for the nearest Blockbuster, I can type it in, and it will list them for me. Is there a way to do this in Iguidance, or some other software? Is this just a matter of having it in the POI database? If so, is there a way I can import the POI database from the acura dvd to Iguidance, or some other software?

Also, when using Iguidance, my location is very accurate if I"m stationary, but when I'm driving, the lag causes me to be off by over 100feet sometimes. It's not real bad, but when I'm in an area where streets are close together, sometimes it's dificult to judge which street I need to turn on. Is there a way to adjust for the lag, or increase the refresh rate?

Thanks.

The Acura and high end Honda navigation systems are truely remarkable. Several of my friends have them, and they snipe at me when they see my carputer based navigation. That's the weak point in aftermarket car computers at the moment, and I'm very positive that'll change eventually, especially once microsoft starts pushing the automotive and embedded platforms harder.

I'm looking into mimicking several features of the acura navigation, and I'm seeing how I can wrap that around existing software. We'll see...
    Kevin
    Audi A4 Carputer, 80% setup.

Comment

well, can the acura do this?

lol
      Attached Files

Comment

hehe, probably not!

Comment

I have the internet so I do not need my navi to do it. I have iGuidance though and it does let you search but the database is not very up to date. When I search for my local WalMarts it does not list the 3 newest (2 years old).
          The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

TOMTOM software is good, too bad they don't have one for computers only, it works really good on my pda and the POI is very up to date.
            Working on install........under construction.............

Comment

I've heard good things about MS-S&T POI. Maybe somebdoy can figure out how to rip apart S&T and use its POI info in some other software.

Comment

may not be relivant or what you are looking for, but you ask what can compare.... I use alpines nav system & it is awsome..... you can find any comercial poi with just a phone #... the database comes on 2 dvd's..... I think it's the most complete & acurate.... alpine builds several oem nav systems...
                MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

anyway to hack to and run it on a carpc?

Comment

don't think so.... I just run it along side.... with iguidance or co-pilot as a backup..... hmmm..... backup nav system...that sounds funny.... I've run it side by side comparison many times.... the alpine is just far superior imo
                    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Use your Wifi - log onto the companies website Blockbuster, banks, Home Depot you name it.

Copy address , past into IGuidance DONE.

IGuidance is fine for me works great. As far as being off 100 feet I remember seeing an issue on these boards a while ago.

I have never had that problem with Iguidance, works great.
                      2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                      2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                      Sound Stage
                      Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Originally posted by parvo99
                        Also, when using Iguidance, my location is very accurate if I"m stationary, but when I'm driving, the lag causes me to be off by over 100feet sometimes. It's not real bad, but when I'm in an area where streets are close together, sometimes it's dificult to judge which street I need to turn on. Is there a way to adjust for the lag, or increase the refresh rate?

Thanks.
                        I had a similar problem and I changed the location of the GPS received (previously on dash) now sits on decklid and works remarkably well
                        2005 Black Chevy Impala
                        Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that, but I'm not sure it will work. It's not that the GPS is inaccurate, it's that the position of the car isn't updated fast enough. When I'm moving at say highway speeds, I may be off by 200 feet, but when I come to a stop, my location is dead on.

Comment

Originally posted by parvo99
                            Thanks for the tip. I'll try that, but I'm not sure it will work. It's not that the GPS is inaccurate, it's that the position of the car isn't updated fast enough. When I'm moving at say highway speeds, I may be off by 200 feet, but when I come to a stop, my location is dead on.
                            I thought it was cuz your CPU isn't fast enuf. I'm running my carpc off my laptop which is a 2.4 GHz P4, and I don't have any problems. I plan to have around the same speed once I actaully build the "desktop" type car pc.
                            http://www.cardomain.com/id/dapcwiz | http://www.dapcwiz.com

Comment

I'm also using a 2.4ghz P4, so I don't think it's a CPU issue. So, when you're traveling at say 70mph on the freeway, and you pass an overpass, on the map you pass it at the same time? In real life, when I pass the overpass, on the map, I"m still a couple hundered feet away from it.

Comment

Working...
                              X