Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is best GPS software to use with a PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is best GPS software to use with a PC?

Im just fitting a new in-car PC in the UK and want Sat Nav capabilities. Which is the best software to use? and is there a version of Tomtom that will work?
    Ford Fiesta 16v 2000 - Media Engine - 8" Touchscreen - 40gig - XP Pro - DVD - VIA C3/EDEN EBGA Processor - Wireless

Waiting for GPS (need to figure out which software is best for the UK)

Originally posted by sct73
    Im just fitting a new in-car PC in the UK and want Sat Nav capabilities. Which is the best software to use? and is there a version of Tomtom that will work?
    "Best" is subjective.
    Find one that meeds your needs, has the features you want and meets your budget.
    And read this: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50579
    Then read this: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39316
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Hmmmm but which one would everyone recommend?

Which one do people use in the UK, come on guys let me know which one you prefer.
      Ford Fiesta 16v 2000 - Media Engine - 8" Touchscreen - 40gig - XP Pro - DVD - VIA C3/EDEN EBGA Processor - Wireless

Comment

Little brutha, people round here aren't too friendly to folks that don't search before posting. You're lucky that DarquePervert even replied to you instead of ripping you apart. It's a helpful community but only for those who help themselves.
        2008 Ford Expedition EL Ltd

Carputer yanked from the Jeep and Denali and waiting to be installed in the Ford.

Comment

was just trying to get a general consensus of opinion to see which one was preferred by other users, guess I'll just have to go n hunt for some positives

Comment

this question has been asked and answered HUNDREDS of times. if you would have searched best gps you'd probably find a gazillion threads just like this one. Or the easiest thing to do would be just to READ the gps forum threads
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

If itwas as easy as that we'd all have one!
              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
              Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by sct73
                was just trying to get a general consensus of opinion to see which one was preferred by other users, guess I'll just have to go n hunt for some positives
                Dude, you're going to get a different opinion from every user that answers that question. If you'd bother to look, people have already posted their opinions about what GPS software they prefer and the reasons in other threads.
                Having multiple threads with people's opinions on software makes it that much more difficult for n00bs (such as yourself) to locate that information if/when they use the SEARCH function.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

not only that, theres different ones that work in the UK that do not in the US and vice versa...

Comment

Instead of searching for 45 minutes to a god damn hour on this forum. let me try to give you some ideas. Destinator is supposed to be one of the better pieces of software for the UK area and has support from quite a few of the front ends like RR and Frodo. Iguidance also gets a lot of props from users although I havent used it, it also uses the same company for map information as Google does for their online mapping so it cant be that far behind the curve. Delorme S&T (if they have a euro version) can work well but overall its routeing has a tendency to go wacky in the 2005 version and their maps are not a up to date as others.

Comment

There's a LOT of variables that only YOU could answer, and that will determine which GPS software you'd use.. things like "Do you use touchscreen or not?" I Have MS S&T and it's not very touch screen friendly, but the POI is very good. It doesn't have the high contrast feature that DeLorme has.. etc etc.. you should do your own research for pros and cons. Too much to discuss

have fun
                      CarPC Status: 0%[---]100%

Smashed 4" Lilliput
                      66 Mhz Pentium Pro
                      400MB Ultra 33 IDE HD
                      EISA VGA card (16 colors)
                      Windows 3.1

Comment

I'm seriously tired of all the "best" questions from the damn ******* lazy noobs. Best GPS software? Best frontend? Best GPS receiver?

Having said that, the 2 best GPS softwares are probably Destinator and iGuidance.
                        iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                        CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Pretty easy.

UK?

Destinator.

Comment

I'm curious to find out how UK users will compare Destinator and iGuidance. Does anyone in Europe already owns iGuidance Europe?

Comment

id like to find someone that has iguidance europe, ive heard very little feedback about it.

Destinator is okay, but the whole SDK and DLL thing is a nightmare... and a bit of a con really. Destinator is a little bit loopy sometimes, giving you some crazy directions etc.. took me a while to get it to understand roundabouts etc. And the maps still dont seem to be great, i know where i live it tries to send me down pedestrianised areas, even tho they have been padestrianised for a good 6 years or so...

Your only choices i feel really are destinator or iguidance tho...

check out the Map monkey forum on more information on what you need to get destinator working well.

Comment

Working...
                              X