Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any One Got Any Info On The GNS TMC Protacol ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any One Got Any Info On The GNS TMC Protacol ?

Any One Got Any Info On The GNS TMC Protacol ?

Thanks

Terran

PS Found this... http://franson.com/gpsgate/ - it may translate it soon... see their forum..
    My Project Site

Originally posted by ccsnet
    PS Found this... http://franson.com/gpsgate/ - it may translate it soon... see their forum..

I have the GNS receiver, I bought it to test Alturion.
    I don't have any info on the format.

I had a look at gpsgate forum and couldn't fins anything about translating the protocol.

Personally I dont really see the need to do that either, unless you wish to access TMC data off the net and then stream it in GNS compatible format to your GPS software.

I would like to see a "reversed" version of GPS gate, where the stream from my GNS reciever was merged into a GNS compatible format with the stream from my UBLOX, using the TMC data from the GNS and the GPS data from the UBLOX.

But we still don't have any navigation software with TMC support thats any good so it's all a problem for the future.

/M

Comment

Whats your UBLOX ? Just got the NL-309T for Navilock and trying to find a way to access the TMC RDS data etc ... seems there may be a SDK out there but thats all I know of.

Terran
      My Project Site

Comment

U-BLOX >> http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49405
        I want it for it's dead reckoning features.

So, you wish to decode the RDS/TMC stream and not just rip it.
        "Hard and software solutions for development and test of TMC integration"
        http://www.gns-gmbh.com/en/30_spezial.php

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus
          U-BLOX >> http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49405
          I want it for it's dead reckoning features.

So, you wish to decode the RDS/TMC stream and not just rip it.
          "Hard and software solutions for development and test of TMC integration"
          http://www.gns-gmbh.com/en/30_spezial.php
          Not quite sure what you mean Maximus ? I Would 'rip' it as you say but I have no idea how to communicate with that part of the hardware...

Terran
          My Project Site

Comment

Not quite sure what you mean Maximus ? I Would 'rip' it as you say but I have no idea how to communicate with that part of the hardware...

Terran
            What I ment was that you want to actually read the data and not just read the full data stream, separate the TMC data and transfer that to something else. (Same as I eventually want to do with the GNS/UBLOX).

I wonder if the "choose best frequency" is a part of the GNS unit or a part of the software".
            If you'd have a serial unit (I guess u do) it would be rather easy to figure out the commands sent to the GPS mouse.

/M

Comment

What I ment was that you want to actually read the data and not just read the full data stream, separate the TMC data and transfer that to something else. (Same as I eventually want to do with the GNS/UBLOX).

I wonder if the "choose best frequency" is a part of the GNS unit or a part of the software".
              If you'd have a serial unit (I guess u do) it would be rather easy to figure out the commands sent to the GPS mouse.

/M
              I have the USB one which has a serial convertor... and yes if I could access the TMC part of the hardware ( cos I have no idea how too as there is no com port etc ect to the GPS its self ) then I'm halfway home.

The GNS protocal is what it will respond with fter converting the TMC data to it own format.

I'm sort of hoping it will simplyfy comms some how but with out even been able to look at the steam or control the recever tuning freq I have no idea hence my first post.

Terran
              My Project Site

Comment

Since the first section (the USB adapter) is nothing but a USB>>serial converter you will have serial data in the little SVHS (MiniDin) plug.
                Open the black square box and you'll find that the PCB is even marked with TX / RX so you dont have to figure out which of the cables is what.
                Use a multimeter to figure out wich cable is going to which pin in the DIN plug, go and buy a male and a femal plug to build your adapter.
                Tap in on the TX line to see what the software is sending to control the thing.

I guess you've seen this site as well:
                http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=17275

/M

Comment

Since the first section (the USB adapter) is nothing but a USB>>serial converter you will have serial data in the little SVHS (MiniDin) plug.
                  Open the black square box and you'll find that the PCB is even marked with TX / RX so you dont have to figure out which of the cables is what.
                  Use a multimeter to figure out wich cable is going to which pin in the DIN plug, go and buy a male and a femal plug to build your adapter.
                  Tap in on the TX line to see what the software is sending to control the thing.

I guess you've seen this site as well:
                  http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=17275

/M
                  Yeh seen that.... and I can just buy an adaptor for RS232... still the same problem though communicating and receiving from the right part of hardware.

May be thats the only entry you need and the 'protocal' talks difrently when it has a TMC sorce... if thats the case then all we need to do is work out how to talk to it..... just like the ol AT commands for modems.

Terran

EDIT I'd love to get my hands on the SDK but I see no mention of it on their site....
                  My Project Site

Comment

all we need to do is work out how to talk to it..... just like the ol AT commands for modems.
                    That's exactly my point with building an adapter and tap in on the TX line.
                    I don't mean an RS232 adapter from the existing plug, that would be more or less useless.
                    I mean like a T.
                    Proper GPS software >>>> GNS TMC Reciever
                    |
                    V
                    Logging computer.

That way you could click a button in (alturion for example) and see what that computer sends to the GPS.
                    And vice versa, when you figured out all the commands sent to the GPS, tap in on the RX line to check the responses.
                    "simple" reverse engineering.... it's either that or the SDK.

/M

Comment

That's exactly my point with building an adapter and tap in on the TX line.
                      I don't mean an RS232 adapter from the existing plug, that would be more or less useless.
                      I mean like a T.
                      Proper GPS software >>>> GNS TMC Reciever
                      |
                      V
                      Logging computer.

That way you could click a button in (alturion for example) and see what that computer sends to the GPS.
                      And vice versa, when you figured out all the commands sent to the GPS, tap in on the RX line to check the responses.
                      "simple" reverse engineering.... it's either that or the SDK.

/M
                      Right now i'm with you....

Terran
                      My Project Site

Comment

Dear Mr. Brown,

Thanks for your interest in GNS.
                        We should provide you the desription and SDK with GNS protocoll.
                        Please notice, GNS protocoll is under licence, we need to sign an nda for
                        it.
                        I have attached a copy of our mutual Non Disclosure Agreement.
                        Please review and sign it by an officer of your company and send the signed
                        nda by fax to ++49 2405 4148 19.
                        Once received we would be happy to share more specific information
                        concerning
                        our products and know how.

Our offer for testing and development equipment is below :
                        - 2x GNS GPS RDS Receiver 9830 mit FM jack
                        - 1x GNS MD6 cable adapter USB (for Notebook or PC )
                        - GNS MD T-Box (Cigar lighter adapter )
                        - 1x GNS MD6 Adapter für ipaq or another PDA model
                        - 1x GNS Y-Antennena adapter
                        - Developer CD with API Documentation und programm sample .
                        - Support for development

price 1.300,-- EURO net plus shipment costs.

delivery term : 14 or 21 working days after order confirmed
                        payment term : T/T in advance
                        shipment term : ex GNS - Würselen / Germany

Please don`t hesitate to contact me for any questions.

I am looking forward to hear from you soon.

kind regards

Serif Halimler
                        -Sales/Marketing-
                        --------------------------------------------
                        GNS GmbH
                        Adenauerstr. 18
                        52146 Würselen - Germany
                        phone : +49 2405 4148 14
                        Fax : +49 2405 4148 19
                        email : [email protected]
                        -------------------------------------------
                        N50° 48.3400 - E006° 0.92427