Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any GPS Receiver that has external antenna port?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • any GPS Receiver that has external antenna port?

    Quick question. The title says it all.

    any brand, model you guys recommend?

    Thanks in advance

  • #2
    One alternative solution for you is to use an OEM GPS receiver. Search for OEM GPS. I use a Garmin GPS-25LV.
    EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

    Comment


    • #3
      I have a standalone GPS as well in my car. It's a Magellan Map 410 and the antenna twists off and I have a short extention so that I get a better signal.

      as far as GPS antennas and CarPCs ( which is what this place is about ) most use a BU-303 which has about a 6 foot cable.


      Don

      Comment


      • #4
        edikp



        Thanatos.
        RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

        Nissan Aux-in MOD


        Originally posted by bgoodman
        We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by edikp
          One alternative solution for you is to use an OEM GPS receiver. Search for OEM GPS. I use a Garmin GPS-25LV.
          That's what I am looking for. hmm, but the spec is not too impressive. Thanks, I think you guided me to the right direction.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have an IOGear BT GPS, it can either sit on the dash or use an optional antenna. My plan is to have the antenna mounted out of site and the GPS in the glove box, then when I travel I can take the GPS but leave the antenna behind.

            I also have a Deluo USB GPS, mine doesn't have one but I think the newer ones support an external antenna.

            Comment


            • #7
              try searching bu303 external antenna cos I'm sure I read about someone on the forum soldering in a flylead to use external antenna.
              PC Chips 1500,512mb ddr,no case yet, LinITX 7" touchscreen,300w inverter,RoadRunner FreeDrive,BU303 gps mouse.

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.allsurplus.net/Axiom/ - $20 module that has an external antenna connector and serial interface.

                So far it is working great with an external antenna, much better signal reception than my previous Deluo gps mouse.

                Note - not affiliated in any way with the above product, just a happy customer.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 510SX
                  That's what I am looking for. hmm, but the spec is not too impressive. Thanks, I think you guided me to the right direction.
                  Elaborate more on "not too impressive".
                  EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sim
                    try searching bu303 external antenna cos I'm sure I read about someone on the forum soldering in a flylead to use external antenna.

                    That was anti... here is the link:

                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ng+gps+antenna

                    Thanatos.
                    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

                    Nissan Aux-in MOD


                    Originally posted by bgoodman
                    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by edikp
                      Elaborate more on "not too impressive".
                      I am not a GPS expert, correct me if I am wrong. I remember I've read one of thread from this forum. The fastest the update time (2-3 times per second), the better the receiver is. This particular model, the update time is less than 2 second?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sim
                        try searching bu303 external antenna cos I'm sure I read about someone on the forum soldering in a flylead to use external antenna.
                        I've read that post. I know exactly what you are talking about

                        I would rather spend the time on the integration than fabrication.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 510SX
                          I am not a GPS expert, correct me if I am wrong. I remember I've read one of thread from this forum. The fastest the update time (2-3 times per second), the better the receiver is. This particular model, the update time is less than 2 second?
                          Not sure on where you got the spec. from and which particular model you meant. Garmin GPS-25LV has 1 second update rate.
                          EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mr_Wizard
                            http://www.allsurplus.net/Axiom/ - $20 module that has an external antenna connector and serial interface.

                            So far it is working great with an external antenna, much better signal reception than my previous Deluo gps mouse.

                            Note - not affiliated in any way with the above product, just a happy customer.
                            I second this. In fact I did a writeup on how to connect it.
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=53448

                            The connector I ended up using was http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...956&pfp=SEARCH

                            I modified the circuit board to connect to the panel on the Axiom. For the connection to COM2 on the motherboard I used an IDS10 socket that I picked up from Fry's Electronics http://shop4.outpost.com/product/1910717 and some ribbon cable.
                            If It's Called Tourist Season, Why Can't We Hunt Them?
                            I Just Do What the Voices Inside My Head Tell Me to Do.
                            The Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in.
                            Texas DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X