GPS usb-> serial port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS usb-> serial port

Im trying to use iguidance to route my trips. I have a Garmin GPS 18 that connects via the usb cable. See the problem.

iguidance needs a com port to connect to while the gps is just a usb device, as such no com port. Ive done some reading and see that I need a usb to serial bridge, this should be provided by the manufacturer but they really dont give anything over at garmin.com.

Is there a driver somewhere that could help me? Other then that someone wanna recomend a nice piece of gps software that would support this?

the garmin 18 usb version outputs in a garmin proprietary format, the serial or bare wire versions output in the standard NMEA format, which iguidance uses. There is software out there that should convert it to the right format for you, the forums, it's been discussed here before

Comment

USB GPS antennas have a com port ...

For instance... mine is Com3, and I duplicate all the data transfered to multiple com ports for running more than one GPS and "Compass" which has MPH etc on the desktop....\

seems like it's a propriety issue. It must recieve the same data from the satalites..

Comment

Ive done searches and gotten that it uses proprietary format and Im scrwed.
        Where is this software that you speak of studmonk3y?

Maybe Im serching for the wrong thing.

Comment

here's a hint.... GPSGate
          Old setup
          Epia M10k, Cubid 2699R case, 512MB, 40GB 3.5" drive
          New setup
          Optiplex 260SX (2.8GHz P4, 512MB, 30GB, DVD)
          Xenarc 700IDT, USB hub, 802.11g, bluetooth, P2140, P5V

Comment

dude gps gate dosnt work, i have it, and it wont output the right info that ig needs. It works 50% it detects setelites thu ig but it wont navigate, tell me if u get it working i have the same gps

Comment

I just had that problem dam it.
              Maybe it just doesnt work with iGudance, seems to update the longitude and latitude thats it, I was able to have it get where the house is, but from there its crap for navigating. Strange

Im gonna try another program

Comment

just post the results when ur done and if u find any other program that converts to com3 port u know where to find me

Comment

Just contacted Frapson gate, turns out they actually read the feedback stuff.
                  The guy tells me its the software were using to connect which means no more iguidance. I just got streets and trips and it should work out. Gonna give it a try tomorow.

Comment

id rather use nRoute which came with my gps for 90$CAD

Comment

Maybe you need to try another gps reciever? What setup do you have?
                      My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

Working...
                      X