Recommendations for interior gps receiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for interior gps receiver

Im trying to find a GPS receiver that I can put inside the car instead of outside. I was pulling a navigation unit out of a toyota, and they had this little tiny GPS receiver under alot of crap in the dash, so I figured there has to be something that good that is USB. Ive read some forums about mounting on the windshield, which Im going to try, but wanted to know what people are using for the interior of the car. Someone tried to wrip mine off. Ive been using a BU-303, and happy as hell with it, but I need a new one now.
    thanks for any help
    Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

I'm using the BU-355 and it works great inside my car. 8/8 to 10/10 in..NYC. Ask anyone, that's hard to get in New York. The 353 works the same too but I usually put my pc into hibernate so I can resume quicker than fully booting up all the time. Let me know if you need any.
    My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

the dash is mostly plastic.. i have mine under my dash and it works fine.. somehow when its raining i get better signal though.. but usually it pulls anywhere between 4-6 satellites in any one location, but in rain it pulls like 8 sats.
      Carputer HIFI car stereo project!
      [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]
      95% COMPLETE! FINALIZING SOFTWARE PLATFORM!

[XXXXXX--------------]
      30% COMPLETE! CAPUTER Version 2.0! Hardware FAILING! CARPUTER BLEW UP! AND NOW MONITOR TOO! WTF?!

Comment

That is truely weird! Usually it's the other way around.
        My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

Ye, go for the bu-353 or 355...

Originally posted by DK888
          I'm using the BU-355 and it works great inside my car. 8/8 to 10/10 in..NYC. Ask anyone, that's hard to get in New York. The 353 works the same too but I usually put my pc into hibernate so I can resume quicker than fully booting up all the time. Let me know if you need any.
          I could use one, to bad you live in the other end of the world.... hehe

Comment

by the way im using a rikaline 6010
            [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]

[XXXXXX--------------]
            30% COMPLETE! CAPUTER Version 2.0! Hardware FAILING! CARPUTER BLEW UP! AND NOW MONITOR TOO! WTF?!

Comment

omg...i hate that thing. Well besides going through the DeLorme, Navsync, Rikaline 6010 and the bu303. The 355 works awesome. No offense. I'm glad that that reciever works for you. btw..i have the 353 and 355 if anyone is interested plus, i have two rikaline 6010's and one delorme for sale if anyone wants to try their luck.
              My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

i think i know what you mean by hate it. but for the price you cant beat it. i think everything else was much more expensive, or had even more problems. mine for example wont run in SiRF. after you cut power to the thing it resets to defaults. 4800baud NMEA
                [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]

[XXXXXX--------------]

Comment

That sucks.
                  My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

i love my rikaline... runs perfect, in sirf or nmea!
                    Kimi ga kawareba, Seikaimo kawaru!

Comment

I'm happy to hear that 'got', I was one of the few unfortunate ones. It's especially hard esp. living in the big apple with all the obstructions.
                      My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

My BU-353 is lying in the trunk next to my computer. It always gets at least seven sats and resumes very well from hibernation. Highly recommended.

Comment

How does your BU-353 come out of hibernation? I've tried that numerous times and it NEVER works. So I got the 355. I'm still curious.
                          My 2000 Accord Project

Comment

I just got the 353 4 days ago after living with the BU-303 for over a year. Wow, what a differernce. I've zeroed in on the hibernation thing as i've heard people talking about going serial vs. USB for that reason, but I've had zero issues with this USB one. ONE time it took 30-45 seconds to lock; all others, it's already locked RIGHT when it comes out of hibernate.

I also placed this one in my back window, which has metallic tint on it, vs. the 303 which i had in the center of the dash i.e. front window. I've had zero issues with it being under the metallic tint. I'ts always 8 or 10 satelittes, 3D-fix.

I'm pretty amazed by this unit, and a bit irked i let myself live that long with the 303. Sorry - no idea why hibernate is not working for you. I do have it plugged into a USB port on the PC vs. a hub but i've done nothing special to enable the success with hibernation.

-Per

Comment

Mine worked out of the box. I've done nothing to make it work out of hibernation. It has its satellites immediately upon resume. Plus, it's plugged into a USB hub. I don't know why mine works and yours doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X