Compare Microsoft GPS with Others

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare Microsoft GPS with Others

Can someoen rate the GPS device included with Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005/2006 relative to some other popular ones people use? I assume it is inexpensive for a reason.

Sometimes it takes a good couple minutes to acquire a signal. Otherwise its accurate.. Ultimately, should I upgrade.

Is there anything more I should look for other than accuracy and speed of acquiring a signal?

No i didnt search...
    B Smoov
    Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

The GPS receiver currently included with MS Streets & Trips 2006 is based on the older SiRFstar2 chip and I have heard several users’ comment that the receiver doesn't even compare favorably to other receivers which contain the same chip.

For their European product, MS AutoRoute 2006, Microsoft included the same receiver, but with updated XTrac2 firmware, making it in effect more sensitive to weak satellite signals. I'm not sure if this updated version will be included with the North American S&T in the future

However, the newest and the best these days is the SiRFstarIII chipset. You will get considerably better performance in comparison to the "original" MS receiver, and you should notice improvement even when you compare it to the updated XT2 version.

Comment

the microsoft gps isnt THAT bad. I get immediate locks and always have some kinda signal .. even when i'm in DC or NYC. Its easy to install setup and forget about. But it does have a hibernation problem (fixed by xport). I've been contemplating selling mine and gettin a 353 for the waterproofing but the microsoft one has worked for me over a year no prob.
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I use the Microsoft GPS on my laptop and once I acqurie the signal I never lose it.

My question is basically what is so much better about other recievers ? Other than speed of acquiring a signal, accuracy , and abilitity to maintain a signal, i cant think of any other factor.
        B Smoov
        Project Status: 90% Complete

Next Step: TIVO for Radio

Ampie Case :: MII10000 Mobo :: M1-ATX PSU :: 512MB RAM :: 2.5" HD, 60GB, 5400rpm, 16MB Buffer :: DWW-700H :: Centrafuse

Comment

i've had mine in my back window for 6-8 months abd have no complaints, other than non-existant support/drivers. Seems to have a hibernation issue when used with iGuidance tho, but i don't use it all the time. only when i need to go somewhere or am lost

Comment

I have the MS GPS reciever, and for some reason, for the last week or so after I did all the rewiring in my car, The GpS is a bit off, it doesnt say i'm on a street until after i've driven past the street, and that's really annoing.. Its like the icon is a bit slow or something.. it's annoyin me to hell. Anyone know whats up with this?

Comment

Working...
            X