Locktimes and Temperature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locktimes and Temperature

Has anyone noticed that your lock times increase as the temperature gets colder? Here in the NE i've been noticing that sometimes the lock times can take up to 10-15minutes (when its below 40 degrees or so) where as its normally under a minute or so under warmer temperatures.

I'm currently using a usb gps reciever mounted outside of the car. Its the guy from Singapore that sells them on ebay for around 65 bucks.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Alex
    90 300zx twinturbo conversion
    Epia C3, 512 ram, syntax mobo, 80 gig WD, Mediacar, GPS w/Routis, all behind drivers seat, 7in Lcd Lilliput VGA with Touch, wireless adapter for stumbling, Consult ODB1 adapter and data scanner.

I think you'd have that effect using anything that's electronic at -40...? plus if you're moving along the road at a fair clip, it will probably ice up anyways. I'd say you're better off putting it inside.. I haven't had a similar experience, but it's only been down to -25 (f) here, and mine is mounted on the dash. It would probably be fine if it weren't so damn cold hehe
    (Picture) - me doing a wheelie on my ty 175

Comment

Hmm well the temps here have been between say 9 and 40 degrees F (positive not negative) thus my puzzlement. Perhaps I'll give it try inside the car.
      Alex
      Epia C3, 512 ram, syntax mobo, 80 gig WD, Mediacar, GPS w/Routis, all behind drivers seat, 7in Lcd Lilliput VGA with Touch, wireless adapter for stumbling, Consult ODB1 adapter and data scanner.

Comment

Recently we have had a couple of -10C (about 30F) mornings here, but the GPS receiver acquires signal before WindowsXP has a chance to display desktop. The receiver stays outside over night.

Comment

Marvin what kind of receiver do you have?
          Alex

Comment

I'm currently using GPSlim236 by Holux (USB and BT). Before this one I used to use GM-210 by Holux (USB). None have experienced any difficulty in starting after being parked outside over night during cold Canadian winter. My guess would be that other receivers should be fine as well as long as they don't have some issues.

Comment

I have the GM-210 and do notice longer lock time in cold weather. Sometimes it may take up to 5 minutes.
              iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
              CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Even after the receiver was used the day before? (As opposed to GPS receiver being used 1st time after a prolonged period.)

Comment

I have my GPS receiver mounted outside the car and it still got locks before returning from standby even when frozen ... I was quite impressed, I thought I had a naff GPS adapter as its serial and years old now.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac
                    Even after the receiver was used the day before? (As opposed to GPS receiver being used 1st time after a prolonged period.)
                    Yeah. The car didn't move either. It seems like a hit or miss to me.
                    iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                    CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Working...
                    X