Serial vs. USB receiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial vs. USB receiver

which one is better (pros and cons)? i've read many threads but none helped me choose. what do you recommend?
    02 Accord Coupe EX V6

serial has less issues with hibernation. no drivers required also.
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

specifically, i was planning to get the bu-353 or bu-355. i have the sp13000. both type of ports are available. i just can't choose.
      02 Accord Coupe EX V6

Comment

i just ordered the br355

Comment

thanks for the reply. will xport3 eliminate the hinbernation issues? i notice that a lot of sites, such as mp3car.com and buygpsnow.com, doesn't carry the bu-355. is that receiver going away?
          02 Accord Coupe EX V6

Comment

because its called a BR 355 not BU

Comment

i just ordered a 355 from buygpsnow.com 2 days ago

Comment

oh my mistake
                02 Accord Coupe EX V6

Comment

Originally posted by doublet
                  specifically, i was planning to get the bu-353 or bu-355. i have the sp13000. both type of ports are available. i just can't choose.
                  I've tried both and I use serial, although there is the extra wire to the PS2 for power I would really use that instead of the side issues that I have found with USB.
                  1. USB has to be on the same port, otherwise if you switch you'll have to reinstall or re-scan the receiver. The lock on the serial assures that it is safe from moving, and if you use another power source by splitting the wires you'll get a better connection than the PS2.
                  2. Power issues, it seems to take longer to power up, my USB receiver is never ready when I come back from hibernation, I have to wait sometimes 2 mins.
                  3. Speed, there is no advantage in using USB over serial, NONE!.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator www.mobiteklink.com

Comment

If you can, go with serial. Less problem, and less headache.
                    I have USB receiver and never have problem with hibernation when running on it own virtual COM port. I do have problem with xport3 once in a couple fullmoon in my matrix setup. Kill and restart xport3 and all work fine. Never have problem in the Supra setup.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Dont get me wrong, itz not that USB is totally useless,,, but compared to serial you'll have about 3 issues to deal with if you were to use USB over serial.
                      As far as I'm concerned there are almost no side issues with serial. No drivers, less start up time, no hibernation issues... Hands OFF!
                      For me those are enough not to ever use a USB GPS receiver, the time that'll I use a USB receiver is when they start selling receivers with "Dead Reckoning" incorporated....

Comment

i went with your advices and ordered the br-355 (serial). the box came with a receiver with only a ps/2 port coming from it. they also gave me an extra ps/2 to USB adapter. isn't there suppose to be a y-cable coming from the receiver (one is mouse serial and one is ps/2)?
                        02 Accord Coupe EX V6

Comment

No dude,,, all it needs the ps/2 port is to draw power.
                          You can take that ps/2, strip the cable, and +/- it to your HDD or Floppy connector and have it more secured like that.
                          Or if you wanna be real "cool" you can hard wire it to the battery, with a 12v-5v adapter you can have the GPS "always on" so there are no warm up issues and itz always locked on to satellites.
                          ;0

----------------------------

If you use the ps/2 to usb adapter you'll be dealing with the same issues as if you were getting a USB GPS.

-----------------------------

The only issue you "might" have is that the GPS gets confused to be a mouse; but there is a simple solution if you search on the forums...

Comment

There are some industrial motherboard that have serial port witha 5/12v pin.

This one does http://www.ibt.ca/IB880.htm
                            Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFX
                              There are some industrial motherboard that have serial port witha 5/12v pin.

This one does http://www.ibt.ca/IB880.htm
                              COM2 (RS-232/ RS422/RS485)
                              You mean that? How would that be useful to us? would we need a different adaptor or configuring the wiring differently?

Comment

Working...
                              X