Router in a Car with GPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router in a Car with GPS

I was planning out my idea to put a wireless router in my car, with a computer that has GPS. However, I dont know how the GPS software will react with a wireless router that keeps moving, and I dont want to end up having a trail of where AP's everywhere I've driven : P So, would the GPS software keep detecting my router as I'm driving along the road, or will it only pick it up once. And if it would keep picking my router up, is there a way I can make it so it doesnt?

What the hell are you talking about?

GPS has nothing to do with Wifi, unless you are using something like Netstumbler to find and map open APs, thus leaving "a trail of AP's everywhere [you've] driven," which is something you said you didnt want.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

95 Mazda Protege LX
      Worklog
      Overall [Project Dead] 0%

2003 Nissan Altima
      [XXXXXXXX--] 80% Planning
      [XX--------] 20% FABRICATION/INSTALLATION

Worklog

Comment

er... yeah ,'/

I'll try to explain this better:

I'm gonna use GPS to map out Access Points, but I'm going to have an AP in the car with me, and I dont want it to keep updating the location of my AP. And I'll probably use NetStumbler, unless it keeps updating the location of my AP, and some other program doesn't.

Comment

well....it wouldnt be the GPS software reacting with the AP....it would be netstumbler.....read more about netstumbler....and understand your problem a little better

seems like someones been smokin a little somethin
          PC Components:
          Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
          My work log

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
            What the hell are you talking about?

GPS has nothing to do with Wifi, unless you are using something like Netstumbler to find and map open APs, thus leaving "a trail of AP's everywhere [you've] driven," which is something you said you didnt want.
            Maybe he means GPRS??

Peace,

Rafster
            Post # 3000

Comment

No he means gps, he just doesn't know why.
              Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

Comment

I would suggest you pop over to the Netstumbler forums and ask your questions there.

However before you do read the following

1. improve your english skills otherwise they are going to jump all over you.
                2. DO NOT mention accessing these AP's you find otherwise they will jump all over you.
                3. Do not mention that you want netstumbler to allow hibernation otherwise they will jump all over you.
                4. they will jump all over you.

if I have missed anything out guys, please add to my above list.

Comment

he means, will it detect the Wireless AP he has in his boot (i'm UK ) over and over again?

No, it will detect it once.

Comment

damn I want that AP that you can fit into your boot, but it would be kinda strange carrying things around in your shoes.
                    肚子笑痛了
                    S60 Install

Comment

As far as I know, netstumbler cannot find access points that do not broadcast their SSID. So just set your access point to not broadcast the SSID and netstumbler will never know it is there. There are other programs out there that can find hidden ssid's, but netstumbler won't.

Comment

And what, exactly, is the AP in your car for?
                        Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                        Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                        I'M DEBT FREE!!
                        I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                          And what, exactly, is the AP in your car for?
                          Mainly for fun, and bragging rights, but, I'm also running CAT5's inside the car for a small LAN, and that gives anyone else who's randomly walking by (or sitting in a coffee shop) the ablility to play games and stuff like that.

Originally posted by wittless
                          So just set your access point to not broadcast the SSID
                          That's a really good idea, but the only problem is that no one would know it is there, and I kinda want people to know : P

Enforcer, your list is so true it's extremly scary.

And, for some reason, I thought Netsumbler would output the locations of the AP's directly to a program with GPS, and you could see a live map of them, which is why I asked. But I'm pretty sure now, that you can only ouput an image and view it later. Though the first would be pretty cool to have...

Comment

You're not the first person to want to map out hotspots as they're detected. It's possible to do.
                            Basically, you'd have to have code that would take the location where the network is detected, the network SSID and the latitude/longitude (taken from the GPS. You're pulling data from multiple devices: The wireless NIC, which is always in 'search' mode and the GPS.
                            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                            X