BR-353 vs 355 for new install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BR-353 vs 355 for new install

Hey all... I've been reading thru the various posts (so please don't flame!) on serial vs USB and am trying to decide between the 353 and the 355. Most likely I'll be buying it with iGuidance for the bundle discount.

Some people say they have problems extending the USB/serial cable (which I'll definately have to do), some people have hibernation problems, some don't. Seems like opinions are all over the radar.

Just wondering if there are any people that have converted from one to the other for some reason or another... I noticed someone had a 353 for sale, apparently because of the known USB issues; didn't want to make the same mistake if hibernation issue hasn't been 100% resolved yet.

Thanks for any info!

--rob

I also expected to extend the gps cable to get the receiver near the window. However, it works fine in the trunk. many people have left their's in the trunk, or stuffed in the dash, and they get very good reception. Besides searching, you can look through the completed projects to see where people "left" their receivers.
    You may not need to make your decision worrying about extending the cables.

Comment

Get the BR-355 and don't forget the BR305-RS232.

BR-355

BR305-RS232 (on the right)

The one on the left is the BR305-USB... which I have for sale if anyone wants it.

-Rich
      http://www.mybimmer.net

Comment

I guess if I get the 355, I can always get the USB adapter and make it a 353 just in case... Thanks for the replies!

--rob

Comment

Originally posted by robo456
          I guess if I get the 355, I can always get the USB adapter and make it a 353 just in case... Thanks for the replies!

--rob

That's exactly what I was thinking. You can buy my USB cable if you want. It's unused. But trust me, you won't be needing the USB cable. And if you have 2 serial devices, check if your mobo has a com port header on the board. My MII 12000 does.

-Rich

Comment

This is what I understood about the power requirements looking at the pictures;
            It looks like the serial cable is a Y-cable, which (I think) means you need to connect power on the other end of the Y to power up the GPS receiver. However, USB cable is a straight one, so the receiver is powered through USB.

Am I right??

Thanks

Comment

The serial model gets power from the PS2 port and data from the serial port.

Rich

Comment

that connector coming straight off of the gps receiver............is that a ps/2 connector? or is it some odd connector?

Comment

Working...
                X